wtf just happend? need masive help

well tomorrow ima go to the local computer store and ill prolly have to buy a new supply ill talk to them about it this shit is redic worked perfict five hours ago. let me ask this there is a green light blinking on the back of the power supply should that mean somthing?

Alright so now that you have it open, grab a paper clip and a voltmeter. Remove the main 24 or 20 pin connector from the motherboard. Once removed, find the green wire, insert the paperclip into the green wire and then stick it into any prong with a black wire or even the chassis of the computer. The green wire is the "remote" to the power supply and when its grounded the power supply will turn on. So do that and then with your volt meter , prong any 4 pin molex connector. So on your voltmeter , put your negative prong anywhere on the chassis of the computer and put the positive prong in to a yellow wire, it will read around 12v. Also red wire will read around 5v. If you get no readings .. or get some weird readings you have a bad power supply. Not a big deal, just go to your local computer store and pick up a new one and then stick it in and see what happens!!

big quote fail on my part, but why would you test the voltage on a 4 pin molex? why not the yellow wire on the 20/24pin P1 connector that goes straight to the motherboard?

diagram of a 20pin P1 connector (might vary from company to company)

z_mbconatxmain.gif

Yes that green light is usually solid green. blinking green usually is indicative of a bad power supply. Power supplies go bad all the time man so its not "redic", its a simple fix and you shouldn't lose any of your data.

Too Much Stuff to list .

Alright thanks alo guys looks like i gota get the old cpu up till i get back from hawaii FML lolz yeah im just mad because thats my baby computer wise lol and i have so much information and music on that computer but if its easy with putting a few wires in then im okay with that

Most of the factory power supplies in lower end computers have only one +12v so it does not matter where you are probing for 12v. However in general if any of the rails are not working to spec, the psu needs to be replaced.

Too Much Stuff to list .

Archived