Using acrylic for subwoofer enclosure

mikey634

Hey, I'm looking at building at least half of my box out of cell cast acrylic (plexiglass) and I was wondering if anyone's had much experience with this. I'm looking at putting 4 15's in this box, with the full weight of two subs being supported horizontally by two sheets welded together at an angle using acrylic cement. I'm looking at making it a ported box, and it's going to have about 10,000 watts running through it, so there will be some air moving.

My questions are:

* What minimum sheet thickness should I shoot for to keep the box from falling apart under the air pressure? If it were MDF I wouldn't make it less then 2x 3/4'', but that gets prohibitively expensive. I'm thinking 1'' thick cell cast with some acrylic rods running the length for reinforcement.

* Joint welding using acrylic cement. If you do it completely right, its supposed to make the joint as strong as any other part of the plastic, as it melts the ends together. I'm wondering if this is completely true? How about light transfer? If you have LED's pointing into one sheet, then weld the opposite edge to another sheet at a 45 degree angle, will that other sheet get any of the LED's light?

* What kind of weight can acrylic support? Each of these subs is a good 60 - 70 lb's a piece, and a couple of them will be mounted with the plexiglass almost horizontal. Last thing I want is for 300$ worth of acrylic to break :sorry:

* What's the minimum thickness for good LED lighting? I might just have to go experiment with this myself, Lowes sells extruded acrylic up to 1/2'' so, while not ideal, might give me an idea. Just figured I'd ask though!

Any help would be awesome! Thanks for your time, Chris.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

The bed of my truck (the green will be clear acrylic mirror) :)

truckbox.jpg

The console, the area's circled in fuschia will be in acrylic - from acrylic shelves for my T400.2 (x3) and my XBox360, to LED lit frosted acrylic to accent the cupholders. Those big things are TV's :D

truckconsole.jpg

Archived