Kinetik vs XS

If youl ook at builds on here with multiple batts installed 99.9% of the time wont see an isolator ;)

thats what i thought

RIP The 03 prix!

New Ride

2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

4 DC LVL 4 18s (2 currently installed)

2 DC PAI.2000 (1 currently installed)

1 DC PAI-120.4

so wait...

isolator or no isolator i kinda trust kasey buttt... whats the truth?

kinda? :rofl:

I wish I would have taken a picture of the voltage for ya

whats the purpose of an isolator?

so you can bump with your car off and not kill your starter battery?

who bumps with their car off? honestly you need all the voltage you can get, and then on top of that once your done bumpin and you turn your car back on now the alternator is struggling way more to get the battery you just drained back up

just say no to battery isolators :D

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

kinda? :rofl:

I wish I would have taken a picture of the voltage for ya

whats the purpose of an isolator?

so you can bump with your car off and not kill your starter battery?

who bumps with their car off? honestly you need all the voltage you can get, and then on top of that once your done bumpin and you turn your car back on now the alternator is struggling way more to get the battery you just drained back up

just say no to battery isolators :D

Then what is the point of having multiple batteries? Shouldn't your amps draw current from the alternator?

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

Then what is the point of having multiple batteries? Shouldn't your amps draw current from the alternator?

huh? :huh:

I'm saying if you drain a battery down to 11.3v like in my situation every time you turn your car off your alternator now has to do even more work to charge it back up

bottom line don't bump with your car off

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

huh? :huh:

I'm saying if you drain a battery down to 11.3v like in my situation every time you turn your car off your alternator now has to do even more work to charge it back up

bottom line don't bump with your car off

But I don't get why you need batteries then. If the amps were drawing power from the batteries, they would slowly drain, right? So while driving the alternator charges them, right? So unless the alternator was charging them as fast or faster then the amps were using the current, the batteries would slowly over-time get drained completely. So if that doesn't happen, that means the alternator is putting out enough power for the amps alone, so what would be the point of the batteries?

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

But I don't get why you need batteries then. If the amps were drawing power from the batteries, they would slowly drain, right? So while driving the alternator charges them, right? So unless the alternator was charging them as fast or faster then the amps were using the current, the batteries would slowly over-time get drained completely. So if that doesn't happen, that means the alternator is putting out enough power for the amps alone, so what would be the point of the batteries?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MaxxsonicsUSAI...u/1/H5MP5F-uJAw

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

I've seen that video, and it doesn't make sense to me. He gave the example in the video that you have a 220A alternator, of which, the car uses 36A for it's regular driving uses. That leaves 184A for anything else. Then he says with that number, you should look for a 184AH battery. Why? AH (Amp hours) is amps discharged multiplied by the time it discharges. But unless your amp requires more then 184A to power it, why would the battery even discharge? Only reason I see a battery being useful is if you want to play music with the engine off or if your amps draw more power then the alt puts out, they can run off the reserve in the batteries for however long the batteries last or demand lasts. Both cases, the voltage would drop to around 12-13v (depending on the battery), where as it would likely be higher coming from the alt (probably in the 14v range) So if you are drawing more power then your alt puts out, wouldn't you want a new alt rather then buy more batteries?

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

When your amperage demand exceeds the amount of output your alternator can produce is when your batteries would come into play simply put. Alternators don't store amperage they just continuously produce it.

So according to my understanding of it.. Multiple batteries wouldn't be needed unless your amperage demand exceeds the amount your alternator can produce. Which is why some cars would stall out because there isn't enough reserve power within the battery and the alternator can't produce it's amount of power unless @ a desired engine RPM.

So if my 300 amp alternator produces 150 amps at idle @ around 800 engine RPM and my battery reserve is at 88 AH on a system that requires around 400 amps @ 14.4 volts. I'm letting the hammer down but not getting max amperage from my alternator and my batteries reserve power starts to deplete because there isn't a sufficient amount of battery reserve available for it to use to produce enough power. At that point I would need extra batteries to to prevent the power output from decreasing and supply my system with more reserve power to reproduce the rated power from my amplifiers. Unless I rev the engine @ 2000-2400rpm at all times. Which just isn't convenient for most, nor is it logical.

If you don't have the reserve power available. Then your power output gets decreased and you start dimming, components heat up, things start getting a little toasty, and your power output isn't clean.. there's tons of variables.

Oh and about the buying another alternator part, certain vehicles, certain casings, different parts, different idle rpms, different alternator output, not enough space available to run multiple units, not good enough belt wrap, pulley sizes. There's a ton of things that act differently on some vehicles. It's ideal for most than can't fit multiple units or units that can't produce enough output to just run multiple batteries an charge them every few days or so instead. As long as you have a sufficient amount of reserve power available you are able to produce the juice for the woofas so to speak.

1993 Chevrolet SWB Pickup

Viper 791XV

Primer Stage

5/8 Static Drop

Kinetik HC1800

Big 3 Knu Flex 0

Team Tex Flex

When your amperage demand exceeds the amount of output your alternator can produce is when your batteries would come into play simply put. Alternators don't store amperage they just continuously produce it.

So according to my understanding of it.. Multiple batteries wouldn't be needed unless your amperage demand exceeds the amount your alternator can produce. Which is why some cars would stall out because there isn't enough reserve power within the battery and the alternator can't produce it's amount of power unless @ a desired engine RPM.

So if my 300 amp alternator produces 150 amps at idle @ around 800 engine RPM and my battery reserve is at 88 AH on a system that requires around 400 amps @ 14.4 volts. I'm letting the hammer down but not getting max amperage from my alternator and my batteries reserve power starts to deplete because there isn't a sufficient amount of battery reserve available for it to use to produce enough power. At that point I would need extra batteries to to prevent the power output from decreasing and supply my system with more reserve power to reproduce the rated power from my amplifiers. Unless I rev the engine @ 2000-2400rpm at all times. Which just isn't convenient for most, nor is it logical.

If you don't have the reserve power available. Then your power output gets decreased and you start dimming, components heat up, things start getting a little toasty, and your power output isn't clean.. there's tons of variables.

Oh and about the buying another alternator part, certain vehicles, certain casings, different parts, different idle rpms, different alternator output, not enough space available to run multiple units, not good enough belt wrap, pulley sizes. There's a ton of things that act differently on some vehicles. It's ideal for most than can't fit multiple units or units that can't produce enough output to just run multiple batteries an charge them every few days or so instead. As long as you have a sufficient amount of reserve power available you are able to produce the juice for the woofas so to speak.

So if your system demands 100A more then your alternator puts out, I'm guessing your amps are seeing around 12-13v, right? Also, you probably need to charge your batteries to keep them from being depleted, right? I mean, this is all assuming you drive around max volume all the time.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D