Sonic Electronix

Hooking more than 1 sub to a mono-block amp

Why when hooking up more than 1 sub to a mono-block amp it divides the power up between the speakers?

for ex.

3 dual 2 ohm subs wired to a 1.333 ohm load

the amp produce 1700 watts at 1 ohm, why do each sub only receieve 566 watts each instead of 1700 watts each?

Because thats how much the amp is only able to produce is 1700 RMS.

NOw if you want 1700 to each sub you'll need a amp that makes 5,000 watts and by this post you made i dont think you need a 5000 watt amp

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

I dont really know an easy way to explain this... Its kinda like making a three egg omelet..

You cook all three of the omelets in the same pan... If your sharing the omelet with three people, you cut it into three even portions, and put each portion onto an individual plate.. If your not sharing, you put it all on one plate, and eat it yourself...

Its just how it is, an Amp has a maximum RMS output... The Maximum Output is shared between whatever drivers are hooked up to the amplifier...

To get 1700 watts to 3 subs, you need an AMP that has an RMS of 5100 watts

There is a scientific reason for it im sure, something to do with resistance.. but i dont know the exact answer..

Hopefully someone who feels like writing a loooong response will respond

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

The amp will send out what it power it produces divided by the the amout of speakers

Ex. A 3000 RMS Amp with 3 woofers

3000rms divided by 3 woofers is 1000rms to each woofer

In your case:

A 1700 RMS Amp on 3 Woofers

1700rms divided by 3 is 566 rms each woofer give or take

It could be more, give or take. But this depends on your electrical set up, ohm load, and current draw

Also look up Rockford Fosgates wiring wizard. If not try the12volt.com

2003 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER

AKA The Batmobile

Pioneer 6000UB

Sundown SAZ-3000D

2 Audio Q HDC3's

40' of 1/0 Gauge

2 Big Rear Batteries

A 38 HZ Box

KICK ASS!

Archived