Multiple HDMI output to multiple monitors

So I'm trying to design a kind of 'entertainment system on wheels' for those times when I have to sit in my car for an extended period of time. I'm looking at putting a mac mini in my dash, and an xbox360 in the backseat. For monitors, I'm looking at two LCD TV's with HDMI input (one in the front, one in back) as well as a touch screen monitor in the front for controlling the Mac.

Now, what I'm looking for is

o The touchscreen always displays the Mac main screen (be it Itunes or whatever) and lets me control it

o The two monitors mirror each other by automatically switching to XBox when it's turned on, and back to Mac once its turned off

What's got me stumped is the dual monitor support for the Mac Mini. The touchscreens I've looked at only have VGA in, and I really want the TV's with HDMI in (I like the image quality). I was thinking of using a DVI->HDMI adapter on the Mac Mini, and running both HDMI's (XBox + Mac) into an automatic HDMI switcher to a HDMI splitter to both TV's. I'm pretty sure that'll work.

However, to run the touchscreen, I have two options I can see:

o Have another splitter before the HDMI switch, and just run a HDMI->VGA line straight to the touch screen, so it's always on the Mac no matter what.

o If the Mac Mini has good dual monitor support, have a mini Displayport (the other video out on the mac) -> VGA adapter plugged into the touch screen, and maybe have music responsive graphics playing on the 'second' video out of the Mac, while everything important is on the touch screen. Kind of like a regular dual monitor desktop setup you might have for video games. All depends on how strong the Mac Mini is.

So I'm asking for advice on HDMI switch/splitters, Mac Mini displayport -> VGA quality, Mac Mini dual monitor strengths/weaknesses, and whether anyone has better ideas for this design. (by the way this is not everything, I will be putting a Mifi in there as well, so I have unlimited data internet on the road! :D) Thanks for reading!

Chris

Archived