Service Engine Light Came On

LoL..they're raping you. I would have waited on the service you got done. Never take it to one place and have the car fixed there. Take it to another place and compare.

Is your car blowing out smoke from the exhaust? If so what color? Also the starting like you said could mean many things as well...leaky fuel injector being one. Did they give what code was coming up? If so post it. As for your cat..search the internet for one. (unless you're set on aftermarket) You'll find it soo much cheaper and its probably bolt on..check rockauto.com for parts..they're fairly cheap.

As for holes in pipes..what? They exhaust has holes and this is harmful for the engine?? That what they said?

well i couldnt go to autozone or whatev, this nissan dealer is usually busy so i had to take it early, imma try a place my dad goes to all the time that are pretty honest to talk to them about this pipe hole thing....yea that site is good i got a parking light from there after my accident, yea they told me that the fumes arent being circulated back to the muffler and will go to the engine and damage it

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
1st Setup: 145.8 DB Outlaw @37 HZ On Music Out Of Trunk
2nd Setup: 147.8 DB @42 HZ On Music Out The Trunk
Current Trunk Build:
153.8 DB Outlaw @ 49 HZ Out the trunk (150.8 DB Sealed)
Team gg.

if it wasnt against the law to do that, i would open a repair shop also... i mean, your service engine light comes on and they say you need new tires and an allignment! now thats what im talking about, make sure they top off your bumper fluid and blinker oil. LOL :shok:

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

Sounds like it isn't firing on one cylinder. Could be something really simple like a clogged injector, loose plug wire. Could be a dead cylinder, but that seems like worst case scenario.

Ever tried Seafoam? Give it a shot. It's less than $10. Regardless of whether the car needs it or not, it will only do good... Injector cleaner/ engine treatment ever year or so isn't a bad idea.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/316C...L500_AA260_.jpg

You need to get your car diagnosed though, before your problem gets worse. Use your lunch break to get it done if that's whats needed, but don't put it off for your sake. Write down the code and look it up. Should be pretty simple to figure out what the problem is if it threw a code.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the estimate... That's some bullshit. I feel bad, because if you only knew how easy it is to change the belts. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if you could get a complete aftermarket exhaust system with a high flow cat for $1400

could be anything ranging from bad/not properly gapped spark plugs, dirty/bad injectors, dirty intake, bad distributor or coils. get some Seafoam from Autozone and find the vaccum for ur intake get a cup pour about 1/3 of the bottle in a cup then pull the intake vaccum and suck the seafoam in it, immediatly shut ur car off, hook the vaccum back up wait like 10-15 mins then fire ur car back up it might sound like its strugling, just give it gas and hold it around 2000rpm. This nasty ass smoke will come out ur tailpipe and once it clears up the Seafoam is cleared out of ur intake. Its very easy to do

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

if it wasnt against the law to do that, i would open a repair shop also... i mean, your service engine light comes on and they say you need new tires and an allignment! now thats what im talking about, make sure they top off your bumper fluid and blinker oil. LOL :shok:

well, they did do an inspection...problem 1 is why the engine light came on, not cuz of tires/hole in pipes lol, i shouldve mentioned that earlier...they just did additional service on it

Sounds like it isn't firing on one cylinder. Could be something really simple like a clogged injector, loose plug wire. Could be a dead cylinder, but that seems like worst case scenario.

Ever tried Seafoam? Give it a shot. It's less than $10. Regardless of whether the car needs it or not, it will only do good... Injector cleaner/ engine treatment ever year or so isn't a bad idea.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/316C...L500_AA260_.jpg

You need to get your car diagnosed though, before your problem gets worse. Use your lunch break to get it done if that's whats needed, but don't put it off for your sake. Write down the code and look it up. Should be pretty simple to figure out what the problem is if it threw a code.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the estimate... That's some bullshit. I feel bad, because if you only knew how easy it is to change the belts. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if you could get a complete aftermarket exhaust system with a high flow cat for $1400

lol how easy is it to change belts? i am planning on taking auto courses once i get my sports medicine degree, so i can learn how to do body/mechanical work on cars. Yea, i found exhaust systems+ cat for around $450, megan racing i heard is pretty good too....well, isnt bad to rev the engine with that sea foam stuff?

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
1st Setup: 145.8 DB Outlaw @37 HZ On Music Out Of Trunk
2nd Setup: 147.8 DB @42 HZ On Music Out The Trunk
Current Trunk Build:
153.8 DB Outlaw @ 49 HZ Out the trunk (150.8 DB Sealed)
Team gg.

Having to give it gas to get it going sounds like the fuel pump

Autozone/Kragen should be able to pull the codes for free then you take the codes and go on the net and see what they mean...any shop can do this

this was post #2 ;)

Barretto MotorsportsTeam RFCTeam CHMTeam SMD "Blow Sand"Live Your Life Without Boundaries... http://www.jeffbarretto.acnrep.com/d_oppor...A=US_EN&BW=

So, what was the DTC that turned on the check engine light?
the dealership is not going to tell him that...

well, they did do an inspection...problem 1 is why the engine light came on, not cuz of tires/hole in pipes lol, i shouldve mentioned that earlier...they just did additional service on it

lol how easy is it to change belts? i am planning on taking auto courses once i get my sports medicine degree, so i can learn how to do body/mechanical work on cars. Yea, i found exhaust systems+ cat for around $450, megan racing i heard is pretty good too....well, isnt bad to rev the engine with that sea foam stuff?

I usually just put the sea foam in the tank... But there are a couple ways of doing it. Just follow the instructions on the can.

Belts are normally pretty easy, but if you don't have the tools and mechanical ability... I wouldn't recommend it without a helping hand or someone to look over your work.

nah, the seafoam wont hurt it at all. I do it once a yr to my vehicle

TDHRIP_zps8bedfde5.jpg

06 Impala SS
Kenwood Excelon DDX593

Ampere Audio 150.4

Ampere Audio 5K
1 XS D4700 (front)
Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3

Lots of Second Skin Damplifier

Under Construction for 2017

Archived