Mike Jones clipped

Well, I did purposely send my sub a clipped signal of 40hz to see exactly how a major clip sounded like. And the sub was moving no where as much as it does on an unclipped signal. So I was just assuming that it made it so the sub less than normal and that's why it couldn't get rid of the heat that well.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Well, I did purposely send my sub a clipped signal of 40hz to see exactly how a major clip sounded like. And the sub was moving no where as much as it does on an unclipped signal. So I was just assuming that it made it so the sub less than normal and that's why it couldn't get rid of the heat that well.

hardcore competitors in spl actually use soft clipping to give them more power

thats why giant amps give ratings from 1% thd all the way up to 10% thd

since they only burp for 3 seconds its just about getting the most power u can

so the clipping isnt an issue because its very hard to get to 500+ degrees on a voicecoil in 3 seconds

i guarantee those with oscopes first burp on a clean signal and then they keep turning it up until they see either no more db gains or stresses start to show in the sub or amp... hence why spl above 170db is so much trial and error

im not sayin they use hella clipped signals, but a little bit actually helps so long as u know what ur doing

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

so the clipping isnt an issue because its very hard to get to 500+ degrees on a voicecoil in 3 seconds

i guarantee those with oscopes first burp on a clean signal and then they keep turning it up until they see either no more db gains or stresses start to show in the sub or amp... hence why spl above 170db is so much trial and error

im not sayin they use hella clipped signals, but a little bit actually helps so long as u know what ur doing

awsome, thanks decaf, ill check out some songs from the carter to get familiar with bad clipping. it was more or less the sound that scared me, but i guess it was just the tuning of the EQ that did it.

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

I was actually thinking of this the other day, because on some amps when I looked at rated power, it would give ratings at 1%, and like 4%, or 5%, 10% etc. I was actually thinking that people using amps for burping would get the THD up as much as possible to get the most power out of the amp, because just like you said..it's only 3 seconds.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz