Sonic Electronix

I know this is going to sound really noob I did search. but I have 2 12w7's and a t1500bd. I have no car right now to install them in, so basically I've been having bass withdrawal and hooked them up to my receiver that is hooked to my computer. My question is the receiver doesn't have a low pass filter. I obviously dont try to let a lot of treble come thru the sub but Its almost inevitable. Should I stop being stupid and decreasing my woofer life or is this acceptable. Also the jl site said under powering the sub is not bad for the sub, the results will just be not near the subs potential, is this true?

Thanks

sig.jpg

jl 12w7 ported @ 2cubes at 38hz

rockford fosgate t1500bd

just dont do it. simple as that. putting a full range signal into a speaker that is MADE to handle low frequencies and low frequencies only will cause the woofer to overheat because its being pushed to play notes that weren't designed to be played on it.

theres a difference between underpowering and playing a full range signal through it.

you can underpower as much as you want, if that wasn't true then subs would blow whenever you turned the volume down.

as far as feeding high frequency through it, they'll be fine as long as there isnt a ton of power involved. they wont produce it well but it probably wont do any damage.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

i dont think your home receiver is going to have enough power to create enough heat to damage the woofer... ive got an sa-12 in front of me with 135watts going to each coil... its not full range but it plays requencies from 30 to 150hz... so no i dont think you have anything to worry about there... now if you had a couple thousand watts then i would be concerned...

and no.. underpowering a woofer will NOT hurt it.... the only time woofers get damaged when underpowered is when the user cranks the gain on an amp to try to compensate for the lack of power... overdriving the amplifier, causing it to send a clipped signal... same can be said with the home receiver... it will send out a dirty(clipped) signal when the volume is maxed out... i dont turn my volume up past 25 out of 30.

i hope these were the answers you were looking for...

EDIT: haha raytard summed up my 2 paragraphs in 2 sentences... thats okay... i went a bit more in depth to help you understand...

Edited by Rogers

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

alright, thanks for the quick responses, thats kinda what I figured but I wanted to make sure before I ruined a big investment. I'm only running one in a prowedge sealed box, and it sounds damn good for only around 200watts going to it. I was always a fan of ported boxs but this setup the sealed one sounds much better I was suprised.

Thanks for the nice responses, its rewarding to goto a forum where everyone isn't jackass's and either flame you or tell you to search.

Edited by vr6bass

sig.jpg

rockford fosgate t1500bd

alright, thanks for the quick responses, thats kinda what I figured but I wanted to make sure before I ruined a big investment. I'm only running one in a prowedge sealed box, and it sounds damn good for only around 200watts going to it. I was always a fan of ported boxs but this setup the sealed one sounds much better I was suprised.

Thanks for the nice responses, its rewarding to goto a forum where everyone isn't jackass's and either flame you or tell you to search.

what kind of ported box was it? if it was a prefab no wonder sealed sounds better. all prefabs (99%) suck donkey balls because there is no port area, the box is generally WAY too small for any kind of woofer, and it is tuned in the mid 40's low 50's.

its a box I bought it in, it looks fabricated pretty well. the guy I bought it off of told me he was a audio installer for 10 years, so I took his word. see if this works.

he said it was tuned to I think 38 hz or something around there.

20371_273226045740_688125740_3947204_6207141_n.jpg

Edited by vr6bass

sig.jpg

rockford fosgate t1500bd

just by the looks of it and comparing it to the one in front of me... looks like the port is a bit on the small side... looks like around 2 cubes net... im running 1.75 net and my ports wider than that..... that poor sub was most likely suffocating in that enclosure...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?