Need help setting gains and HPF's.

Well I finally got the rest of my RF equipment in; I went with teh Power 4x6's, Power 6.5" comp. set, and a Punch P400-4. Im comfortable with the comp set (except for where to set my high pass filter...reccomendations?), but all my questions are in the 4x6's.... I put them in a few weeks ago (off the HU) and they sound AMAZING with crisp clear highs except that they distort from the bass if I turn it up past 17-20ish.... what should I set my High pass frequency at? The frequency response on them are 75-22,000 but I still thik 75 would be too low so I was thinking set it around 100ish?? And also the 4 by's are rated at 45W RMS and my amp does 74W RMS x4 @ 4ohms so whereabouts should I set teh gain at? If you need any other specs or anything let me know. And thanks!

Edited by 99xtremedime

a0xp5g.jpg-2 AQ HDC3 15's-'Nendo 3KWP @ .5-7.75cuft @ 30hz-Alpine CDA-117-4 Cadence PA 8's

-AQ 200.2-2 AQ Supertweeters-XS Power D3400-270a Mecman Alt

-Knu Konceptz Wire

Regardless of the speaker size, turn the high pass all of the way up, turn the volume to a point you would if you wanted to really crank it (i.e. Where the highs begin to distort) and back the high pass crossover down to a level where the amount of bass coming out is what you want and they don't distort. Every system is different, unfortunately you have to use your ears to adjust to you liking and volume limits...

1996 Trooper LS 4X4 3.2L SOHC - Pioneer Head Unit, Big 3 Upgrade, Knuconceptz 1/0 Wiring, Polk 6X9's in the rear doors, Polk 6.5" Front Components, Coustic 4ch 1200W Amp, Rockford Fosgate R1000-R1 Sub Amp, Diamond Audio D912D4 12" Sub, Sub Zero 12" Vented Box, Airtec Snorkel - 6000K BiXenon HIDs - 16x7.5" Snowflakes - ARB Front Winch Bumper - Vortex 12000lb Winch - Superwinch Manual Hubs - 3" lift OME 919's + Coil Spacer -OME Nitrochargers - HD Lower Links - Front Control Arm Low Profile Droop Snubbers - Poly SwayBar Bushings - Ball Joint Flip + 1/4" Spacers.

very true i usually just hear it and adjust it from there

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

The main question has to be are you talking about setting the H.P.F. on the h/u or the 4 channel amp? Reason why i ask is theres different ways of adjusting the filters

depending on the h/u you are using.. The H.P.F. cuts off the bass and adds treble as opposed to the L.P.F were it cuts out treble and adds bass.. So theres so

many ways to go about tuning and setting gains that you basically cannot overdrive the speakers by adding too much bass which will then lead to distortion.

If you going to turn off the H.P.F. on the amp and adjust it from the headunit (Im assuming your amp has H.P.F and L.P.F.) then id recomended setting the bass gains

real low especially if the speakers only handle 45 watts id put the gains anywere from less than 1/3 of the gain. Set the H.P.F from the headunit to 80 for the 4x6s

and another question I didnt mention is how many watts do the comps handle? If its anywere to a 100 watts rms id put the H.P.F frequency from 100 to 110 no more than 120.

Also set the gains on the 4 channel amp a lil less than halfway depending what the comps puts out at 4ohms it should be safe. Another thing will play a key role if your looking

for clearity is having slope adjustments. This is something were equalizers/processors come into play and its just a whole another ball game from their.

Hope this helps.. Any questions im here..

2003 Mercury Marauder Black (R.I.P)

Tinted Windows

Purple HID's 10000K

Fog Light HID's 10000K

Swi Jack Steering Wheel Controls

Apple I-Pod Classic 80GB

Alpine KCE-422i Full Speed I-Pod Cable

Alpine IVA-W203/P1 Navigation/Bluetooth

Alpine PKG-M780 7' Headrest Screens

Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor

Alpine MRP-F300 4 Channel Amp

Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Power Amp

2 Kicker L7 15' Solo Barics

Alpine Type R SPR-17S Component's

Alpine Type R SPR-57C Coaxial's

Monster Performance RCA's

0/2 Gauge Wires

BIG III W/Fuse

200 Amps Custom Built Alternator

Yellow Cap Optima Battery Front

Xstatic Batcap 800 Back

Custom Mounted Bass Knob

LED's 2x License & Trunk Light

BoYo VTK-350 Color Backup Camera

Dynamat Xtreme Front Doors & Rear Deck

Clifford Matrix 50.7X Alarm System/Remote Start

The main question has to be are you talking about setting the H.P.F. on the h/u or the 4 channel amp? Reason why i ask is theres different ways of adjusting the filters

depending on the h/u you are using.. The H.P.F. cuts off the bass and adds treble as opposed to the L.P.F were it cuts out treble and adds bass.. So theres so

many ways to go about tuning and setting gains that you basically cannot overdrive the speakers by adding too much bass which will then lead to distortion.

If you going to turn off the H.P.F. on the amp and adjust it from the headunit (Im assuming your amp has H.P.F and L.P.F.) then id recomended setting the bass gains

real low especially if the speakers only handle 45 watts id put the gains anywere from less than 1/3 of the gain. Set the H.P.F from the headunit to 80 for the 4x6s

and another question I didnt mention is how many watts do the comps handle? If its anywere to a 100 watts rms id put the H.P.F frequency from 100 to 110 no more than 120.

Also set the gains on the 4 channel amp a lil less than halfway depending what the comps puts out at 4ohms it should be safe. Another thing will play a key role if your looking

for clearity is having slope adjustments. This is something were equalizers/processors come into play and its just a whole another ball game from their.

Hope this helps.. Any questions im here..

I will be adjusting the HPF from the Amp. My HU is pretty crappy and doesnt have HPF's or LPF's. So with that said should I just turn the volume at the max that it will be played at, and set my HPF's for both channels from there to where it sound the way I want as recommended by the others, or do you recommend another way? I will be upgrading to a Pioneer AVH-P5200DVD when it comes out but Pioneer still hasnt released it... it has AMAZING adjustability so that will help me as well.

Oh and the Comps handle 100W RMS.

Edited by 99xtremedime

a0xp5g.jpg-2 AQ HDC3 15's-'Nendo 3KWP @ .5-7.75cuft @ 30hz-Alpine CDA-117-4 Cadence PA 8's

-Knu Konceptz Wire

Correct. Its always best to adjust the sound that suits your taste from having a good ear. I would turn the volume up from the headunit to whatever vol level sounds like you hear

distortion and from their set the H.P.F. to anywere from 120 to 160 no higher than 200 for the comps. For the 4x6's try setting the crossover a lil lower than 80.

Also since your setting the filters through the amp this means you can adjust your bass gains a lil higher. maybe in between the halfway mark should do for the comps. For the 4x6 speakers set those gains a lil lower. Reading the specs on that amp you should be good setting the gains halfway for the front comps (or a lil bit pass halfway) since it puts out 50watts at 4 Ohms rms.

You just never wanna overdrive your speakers thru too much bass.

continuous power 50W x 4 @ 4-Ohms RMS

100W x 4 @ 2-Ohms RMS

200W x 2 @ 4-Ohms bridged RMS

Edited by Stallion Marauder

2003 Mercury Marauder Black (R.I.P)

Tinted Windows

Purple HID's 10000K

Fog Light HID's 10000K

Swi Jack Steering Wheel Controls

Apple I-Pod Classic 80GB

Alpine KCE-422i Full Speed I-Pod Cable

Alpine IVA-W203/P1 Navigation/Bluetooth

Alpine PKG-M780 7' Headrest Screens

Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor

Alpine MRP-F300 4 Channel Amp

Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Power Amp

2 Kicker L7 15' Solo Barics

Alpine Type R SPR-17S Component's

Alpine Type R SPR-57C Coaxial's

Monster Performance RCA's

0/2 Gauge Wires

BIG III W/Fuse

200 Amps Custom Built Alternator

Yellow Cap Optima Battery Front

Xstatic Batcap 800 Back

Custom Mounted Bass Knob

LED's 2x License & Trunk Light

BoYo VTK-350 Color Backup Camera

Dynamat Xtreme Front Doors & Rear Deck

Clifford Matrix 50.7X Alarm System/Remote Start

Correct. Its always best to adjust the sound that suits your taste from having a good ear. I would turn the volume up from the headunit to whatever vol level sounds like you hear

distortion and from their set the H.P.F. to anywere from 120 to 160 no higher than 200 for the comps. For the 4x6's try setting the crossover a lil lower than 80.

Also since your setting the filters through the amp this means you can adjust your bass gains a lil higher. maybe in between the halfway mark should do for the comps. For the 4x6 speakers set those gains a lil lower. Reading the specs on that amp you should be good setting the gains halfway for the front comps since it only put out 50watts at 4 Ohms rms.

You never wanna overdrive your speakers.

continuous power 50W x 4 @ 4-Ohms RMS

100W x 4 @ 2-Ohms RMS

200W x 2 @ 4-Ohms bridged RMS

Ok will do, thanks for all the help. And being a rockford product the amp does way more then rated power @ 74W x 4 @ 4 ohms.

-Knu Konceptz Wire