Sonic Electronix

Every single post in this thread is fail :(

Passive radiators are a driver which is not powered. There may or may not be a voice coil which may or may not be shorted to create resistance of the passive driver to movement. You want a couple passive radiators usually equal or greater than equal to the displacement of your subwoofer to keep the passive radiator from over excursion which can cause damage to its spider.

You can not simply throw together a box and add a passive radiator, that will often cause mechanical failure of the powered driver due to over excursion. Passive radiators are just another way of porting but mostly used in home theater setups only as there is more room to work with to keep away from creating pressure and phase issues.

A passive radiator mounted inside a port mouth may have an interesting effect but i've never seen it done and never had the time to do it myself.. plus you would need a giant port.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

I built a passive radiator system with 2 12"s facing back in the trunk and an 18" with the coil,spyder and everything gutted out except for the cone. It worked great. It was really different than other systems. The sound was kinda cool. Alot of work goes into them though. Idk if anyone really understands how to make a box for passive radiators? Someone may say they know but I think they are a big mystery. Trial and error. It was defanitly cool to see 2 12"s and an 18" in a box together! haha...lol...Also i did NOT have any problems with leads breaking or snaping off. I also did not have ANY damage to the 18" sub. I am actually currently rebuilding it for power usage again.

Edited by Ben G.

It only sounded good because it was in a trunk.

You need to leave the spiders on or the cones just flop around.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

i may try this could u use a working sub as the radiator and just not have it hooked up

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

read my first post hifonics10.

Hammerdown... 1%