home audio amp/receaver

not wanting to hijack another thread n while looking around i thought i would make this post as a semi newbie. I say semi because i use to hang out with 2 diffrent car audio experts where i live. anyways, This morning while i couldn't sleep it came to my attention that i should change out my home audio speakers as they are good but not great. As i turn it way up the speakers handle quite well. No its not one of thoes dumb theater in a box systems. Anyways on to the point... my speakers/receiver/amp are kind of strange in which all channels are equilly throwing around the same ammount of power (*200 watts a channel 1000 watts rms*). the funny thing about my setup is the stock speakers are all 3 ohms per channel rated from the book that came with the setup and as labled on the rear of the speaker boxes themselves. My question is what would be my best option for replacement because all i see is 2 and 4 ohm speakers.. my friend tells me i can wire some speakers all the way down to half an ohm and some amps will take it(*car amps*). any ideas? also i have 2 large speakers that i have had for a decently long time and well i want to put them to use. Is there any way to measure the impedence of the speakers?

What receiver, what speakers. Most home audio receivers are rated at 8ohm impedance per channel. Some of the better brands will handle 6ohm and 4 ohm loads.

Also not quite sure what your asking for. Are you looking for a new receiver that will sound good and handle a 3ohm load? That might be hard to find unless you looking for Pro gear. Some of that equipment will handle 2ohm loads per channel. Are you looking for new speakers?

My home audio setup consists of a Harmon Kardon receiver. Infinity towers for the front stage and a pair of RBH surrounds. I have a Behringer Ep2500 for my sub stage with a 12" sub in a home made enclosure. All my speakers are 8ohm impedance except for the sub that is wired 4ohm.

You can check the impedance of your speakers with a DMM if you have one available.

I love my Infinity towers. 2 - 6.5 drivers and a single tweeter each. They have excellent bass response. Best thing about them was the price I paid. Got the pair for $125.00 off of Craigslist. I play these things hard all of the time jamming on music and use them for movie watchin. Sound good either way. Look for deals one Klipsch, KEF and Yamaha towers. Cant go wrong with any of those brands. Just need to make sure you have the power to drive them properly which you seem to have. I have beed searching and looking for a deal on some B&W towers for years. Damn things are expensive and people seem willing to pay high prices for them. I have had a chance to hear them twice in home setups and they sounded awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived