Second Skin Audio

DC lvl 4xl Box Advice (google sketch)

WHEN YOUR PORT LENGTH IS LONGER THAN THE DEPTH OF YOUR BOX!! AND THE PORT BENDS YOU SHOULD CLICK ON THE "PORT BENDS BUTTON"

In the actual torres thread though, it says that the "port bends" is if the port physically bends as in like an arc, not an elbow? When i run the numbers for and elbow it ends up behind the speaker, no matter what numbers i play with in order to get the tuning right at the right volume all to my cars maximum specs... :/ If i make the port wider to compensate for tuning and to keep from making the elbow, port area is massive... If the second design will not be better, then i am obviously confused...

From the torres page:

EDIT: updated 6/21. for a small error that a user over at *** found on slot ports (thanks bromo). it took too much volume out for the slot port, which would change the net volume, which would change the tuning. only by ~ 1 hz, but i still fixed it.

also added a check box that you can check if there are bends in the port. since bends do not require the port to physically be as long, this will yield a slightly larger net volume, which will change tuning. so i made it a check box instead of entering in the bends. if my math was right...you can have 4 or 5 bends without changing anything, which i dont see many boxes having that many bends as that would be a low ass tuned box.

Edited by Cashdollar2009
On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Torres posted in my thread that he's got an update for his calc in a few days.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/index.php?showtopic=71568&view=findpost&p=992119

View PostCashdollar2009, on 08 March 2010 - 11:35 PM, said:

You may have been referencing to my torres calculations in my thred. According to the torres sticky, under the updates, he says to put the port height in for width, and width for height because he was used to building boxes vertical with a horizontal port... That is why i did it that way. **in the red text on his thread**

"***just to clarify...when doing a slot port to add in end correction, use the port height as the the distance from the box wall to the side of the port wall. switching the numbers will give you a different tuning, as port width will be longer in and it'll extend the tuning a lil further than it should"

this is correct. but...if you can hold out a couple days, my new calculator should be up and MUCH more detailed and MUCH more accurate. just gotta print a couple test sheets to make sure the layout is how i want it and maybe one other thing and it'll be good to go. it'll give you many more options and more 'fool proof' if you would, meaning you can put any dimension anywhere and it'll be ok

more turns equals more turbulence which equals loss in quality and pressure

ive never liked labrynth ports

u need to have 45s to for that to work best

a straight port will always be more efficient than one that makes bends

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

more turns equals more turbulence which equals loss in quality and pressure

ive never liked labrynth ports

u need to have 45s to for that to work best

a straight port will always be more efficient than one that makes bends

Okay thank you decaf, that actually does make more sense to me. I already have about 5 or 6 zips of yours to run through this thing, i just need the tiny detail of the box finished. lol ... and k3n12ock, thanks for the heads up! I may have to keep my eye out for that update.

Okay, well i ran some new numbers... came up with this as the final design, and here's my final torres. :) About 13inches of port per foot. And the port is no longer behind the sub.

Edited by Cashdollar2009