Second Skin Audio

Whats the best wood for sub boxes

I used birch for my last build and I'll be the first to say I'll never used MDF to make boxes again.

1: It's significantly lighter. and like it was said, When you build huge boxes by yourself, it matters.

2: It's much stronger. MDF can't compare in rigidity to birch of the same dimensions.

3: I find it easier to work with as I have a garage full of tools designed for real cabinet grade material, not pressed sawdust.

4: SAWDUST. MDF dust it super light and floats around all annoying like. The birch dust is heaver and makes nice little piles that makes you feel like you accomplished something.

I do carpentry as a hobby so I have a shitton of tools I would never touch with anything less than something I'd put in my own house.

When I did my build in MDF it took forever for two of us to get two sheets of that heavy shit in the back of my truck and dropped one corner destroying the ENTIRE corner of that sheet. The two sheets of birch I loaded myself.

Yes, MDF is smoother and finishes a lot better than the multi-ply birch so I'll probably be using it for all the pretty work but for skeletons and boxes birch is worth the extra $20 a sheet anyday.

Just $.02 as an experienced woodworker.

My next build I'll be custom making a lot of interior pieces out of random fancy woods like ebony, cherry and white oak. Should be sick.

[HOONIGAN]*

'01 Ford F-250 LWB
JVC KD-R950BT / Alpine MRV-M500 / (2) SWA-10s4

I used birch for my last build and I'll be the first to say I'll never used MDF to make boxes again.

1: It's significantly lighter. and like it was said, When you build huge boxes by yourself, it matters.

2: It's much stronger. MDF can't compare in rigidity to birch of the same dimensions.

3: I find it easier to work with as I have a garage full of tools designed for real cabinet grade material, not pressed sawdust.

4: SAWDUST. MDF dust it super light and floats around all annoying like. The birch dust is heaver and makes nice little piles that makes you feel like you accomplished something.

I do carpentry as a hobby so I have a shitton of tools I would never touch with anything less than something I'd put in my own house.

When I did my build in MDF it took forever for two of us to get two sheets of that heavy shit in the back of my truck and dropped one corner destroying the ENTIRE corner of that sheet. The two sheets of birch I loaded myself.

Yes, MDF is smoother and finishes a lot better than the multi-ply birch so I'll probably be using it for all the pretty work but for skeletons and boxes birch is worth the extra $20 a sheet anyday.

Just $.02 as an experienced woodworker.

My next build I'll be custom making a lot of interior pieces out of random fancy woods like ebony, cherry and white oak. Should be sick.

was pondering using cherry for a boxbuild i wonder how dif. it would sound...

Peep my tunes...

'99 Audi A4 Q 1.8t

Knu 1/0 Big 3

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891 HU

US Amps Merlin MD2D 2ohm @ 1000w RMS

1x RE SX10D4 in custom ported 1" MDF box 1.25cf @ 34hz

4x Audiobahn 90w RMS 4" 2-ways

2x Kenwood Excelon 110w RMS 6x9 3-ways

2x Stock Bose high door tweets