2 Stroke Spark Plug Color?

i finally got around to buying a new spark plug and spark plug socket so i can tune the High jet screw on my little bike. i know the color is supposed to be chocolaty/brown but this is as close as i can get it w/o going slower than a grandma

white = lean and black = rich from what ive been told.

is this a good color or should i make it more rich? i can only get to about 20mph with this current setting on a 35/40cc engine and ~250lb of weight (me being 150)

qstx6e.jpg

the sparkplug is kinda an over time thing. it looks like its a bit lean from the pic, but it may have just not been in there long enough. atleast in my experience I've ended up with extreme settings on carbs for no good reason (like if lo/hi was supposed to be between 1 and 2 turns out, i've had low be .5 and high be 4.75 just to get an engine to run right.

my ghetto way of tuning has always been to throw it on stock settings, adjust the low till it idled right and didnt bog when it got a little throttle, and then adjust the high little buy little till i had the best performance, and screw where it actually ended up or whether it was too rich. (just make sure you're not running it od lean and burning shit up)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Kranny I've never heard of such a thing. The most important thing with a spark plug is just makeing sure your gap is proper and then its either going to work properly or its going to build up a black corrosion that will prevent the spark.

Start with the gap the factory recommends and see how things go. You can repair the electrode a few times before the spark plug is no good. ie Wire Brush or a piece of sand paper.

Is it a motor scooter, does it have gears. If your wanting more output then you want to look at air filters and exhaust first then run your plug and see what it looks like after a few hours of use.

If its a motor scooter then yes that engine probably has a lot more hidden in it but because of legal restrictions the have the scooter electronically mellowed out and that means you'll need to find a Mod kit and I really don't know much about them.

I'm no expert in this area so don't totally go by me.

I'm under the impression Jeff aka Burrito is a two stroke fanatic but I really don't know much about the guy.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

the problem is with the factory settings, i changed them well over a year ago and i cannot find ANY information whatsoever on the bike. my godparents had gotten it 5 years ago for me but they dont remember where they got it from.

DSC00056-1.jpg

its a single gear. it does have alot of fuses and relays and a few boards for the various stuff, horn, alarm, turn signals, head/tail light, electric starter.

this bike runs completely fine except that it idles like shit i think i have to adjust the low mixture screw but i gotta get a screwdriver small enough for it. take it off throttle and come to a complete stop and itll die (the idle screw is turned up enough so if you dont sit on the bike itll roll by itself). oh and it takes like 10 seconds to start it using the electric starter and a brand new battery, the pull start is useless because of this.

i pulled the carb off yesterday and it looked clean. i dont know how dirty the jet holes are but that may be the problem.

edited like 5 times, i always put alot of info so tell me if anything confuses you guys

Is it like a moped or what? Pics

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

iso, the color of the sparkplug is an indicator of how effeceint combustion is in the engine, too light (like it is) indicates being lean. too dark (chocolate >black) indicates too rich, too much oil is being burned leaving a smoky black deposit on the plug. somewhere in the center leaves a golden brown residue on the plug.

if its stalling on idle, is it popping out a smoke cloud? if not, turn the low up like a full turn and see what happens. the tricky thing is that the low AND high are in use at all times when its getting throttle, so if one is screwed up, they both are.

also, is your oil mixture right? maybe it needs 40:1 and you gave it 25:1?

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

i give it 32:1. the only needle i havent changed is the low speed, and thats because i need a flathead the size of the ones they use for eye glasses.

it doesnt smoke at all thats the funny thing. i mean occasionally i see smoke popping out then it dissipates really fast.

these are pics from last year, i took off that fake v-twin plastic shit cause it just looked dumb IMO.

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056-1.jpg

DSC00059-1.jpg

DSC00061-1.jpg

iso, the color of the sparkplug is an indicator of how effeceint combustion is in the engine, too light (like it is) indicates being lean. too dark (chocolate >black) indicates too rich, too much oil is being burned leaving a smoky black deposit on the plug. somewhere in the center leaves a golden brown residue on the plug.

if its stalling on idle, is it popping out a smoke cloud? if not, turn the low up like a full turn and see what happens. the tricky thing is that the low AND high are in use at all times when its getting throttle, so if one is screwed up, they both are.

also, is your oil mixture right? maybe it needs 40:1 and you gave it 25:1?

Thank you raytard.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

no smoke? clean plug? break out the small screwdriver and throw an extra turn on the low and see what happens. if it smokes alot or bogs, edge it down. if it runs better, give it a bit more until you notice bogging.

2 strokes that size ALWAYS smoke. if its not smoking its running lean, and that clean ass plug of yours is just another indicator.

and you're welcome ISO ;)

http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htm

nice little table of plugs (although the quality sucks), youre basically the 5th one from what i can see, and wouldnt you know it, running lean is one of the reasons, lol.

Team DC

no smoke? clean plug? break out the small screwdriver and throw an extra turn on the low and see what happens. if it smokes alot or bogs, edge it down. if it runs better, give it a bit more until you notice bogging.

2 strokes that size ALWAYS smoke. if its not smoking its running lean, and that clean ass plug of yours is just another indicator.

and you're welcome ISO ;)

http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htm

nice little table of plugs (although the quality sucks), youre basically the 5th one from what i can see, and wouldnt you know it, running lean is one of the reasons, lol.

so make the low screw a little richer till it smokes a bit and doesnt bog when i hit the gas and adjust the high needle richer till the spark plug tells me its running correctly?

edit: btw when you say Throw an extra turn on it, you mean make it richer right? and Edge it down means leaner? and Give it a big more means leaner also? i fail with this stuff haha

Archived