DC Sound Lab

WTF happened to my tinsel lead???

I just took my new level 4xl out of my first box to put into my new one and saw that the one sides leads are all effed up! What happened? Was it getting too hot? I don't know how reliable it is to use it in competition next weekend... :( Help! Both leads from that side are effed, the other side is fine...

0418001454.jpg

Edited by Cashdollar2009

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

What you have there my friend is a case of severe clipping that sent dirty ass power to your sub. This is exactly why everyone always says to set your gains with an o-scope...

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

do you have dual tensil leads to each push terminal? or just one tensil lead going to each terminal?

Dual tinsel leads to each terminal. So the four on the one side are messed up, the four on the other are fine.

yeah on my old lvl 4 i blew one tensil lead because i was sending to much power threw it or something like that i can remember what rusty said exactly went wrong, but you are probably going to need a recone, unless you have some extra tensil lead wire and are amazing with a soldering iron.

yeah on my old lvl 4 i blew one tensil lead because i was sending to much power threw it or something like that i can remember what rusty said exactly went wrong, but you are probably going to need a recone, unless you have some extra tensil lead wire and are amazing with a soldering iron.

I see... Well, I have the first competition of the season next weekend, i guess I'll have to see if she holds out and baby her until then. I'm no master solderer or have spare leads laying around. I've been real careful with it in the 4 weeks of ownership. I guess after discovering Bigpimpin's Let My Beat Pound last week i've been a bit antsy with the bass knob. :( So you're thinking recone in the future is about my only option?

Is there any quick temporary fix i can do before i put it in the new box? And any estimation on life left on this thing? Assuming zero clip.

I see... Well, I have the first competition of the season next weekend, i guess I'll have to see if she holds out and baby her until then. I'm no master solderer or have spare leads laying around. I've been real careful with it in the 4 weeks of ownership. I guess after discovering Bigpimpin's Let My Beat Pound last week i've been a bit antsy with the bass knob. :( So you're thinking recone in the future is about my only option?

that or getting some more lead and trying soldering it on in between the two places it broke. and if you snapped all the leads on side it will fuck what is possible save able of the cone and soft parts up. and i suggest not playing it till the show

that or getting some more lead and trying soldering it on in between the two places it broke. and if you snapped all the leads on side it will fuck what is possible save able of the cone and soft parts up. and i suggest not playing it till the show

Alright... I'm not sure what the terms for the parts of the tinsel lead are but basically the jacket over the inner part is what is frayed between terminals and into the basket. The inner part is still held pretty strong, the fraying just through up a ton of red flags... I don't know if that makes a difference in your diagnostics or not. So, was this more of a clipped signal, rough break in, or playing low low music type of thing if you had to take a guess?