Sundown Audio

IA20.1 needs repairs

Dbr has done me right time and time again,i had 3 rd d9s go out on me,after he repaired them i havent had one issue from them.He does good work and was fast as hell with mine,he turned everyone of my amps around in 1-2 days..sometimes like me sending it out on monday morning,him getting it wednesday morning,fixing it,sending it out wed afternoon and me having it friday morning..good communication and good repair prices,hes on my top 5 awesome car audio companies list for sure.I will always use him. :drinks:

If i may ask what were the repair price?

Sort of feel likes im taking my car in for repairs here, figure its something simple for repairs, but it could turn out being charged a "flat repair rate' for something that my cost $100 with parts and labor. Not saying DB-r is unfair just wondering, especially since the guy who responded to me didnt mention "hey it may be less if we find out differently"

".......Cut spending to only the bare essentials, water and bread...and margaritas...Yaay "-Mr. Marsh

95 camry:

JVC Deck

15" Fi Q in a fail prefab box

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

If i may ask what were the repair price?

Sort of feel likes im taking my car in for repairs here, figure its something simple for repairs, but it could turn out being charged a "flat repair rate' for something that my cost $100 with parts and labor. Not saying DB-r is unfair just wondering, especially since the guy who responded to me didnt mention "hey it may be less if we find out differently"

That's because of how they repair the amps. It's flat rate because 99% of the time they do the same repair on them.

Say you have 4 blown FETs in the power supply. You could just replace those 4, the gate resistors and the drive transistors.

But they won't be exact matches to the other ones in the amp (transistors vary a strangely large amount from batch to batch) and under extreme loads the imbalance in the amp might cause it to fail again due to either the new parts of the old parts taking an uneven share of the load.

While you've got the amp in pieces you may as well take the extra half hour and remove all the power supply FETs and replace them with matched parts. It guarantees that the amp will perform like it did when it was built, and will have the same reliability.

This is why db-r fixes an amp once and it keeps going and going. You hear of people having to send their amps back to some places over and over. The only time I've heard of an amp going back to Chris was because it had an intermittent fault that didn't show up until you threw it in the vehicle at 150 odd dB (shorting transformer winding)

IMO it's worth it to pay the extra $50 and have it fixed properly. It's like doing the cambelt in your car - sure it might cost an extra $100 to have the tensioners replaced but if you're going to all the trouble of pulling the side off the engine anyway you may as well do them when you're in there and save yourself trouble later on.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Yea i understand with the way amps are, and understanding what happens when theres a "blow out" it may have to have most of the board replaced considering you cant just switch out the 3 mosfets and expect it to output like before.

".......Cut spending to only the bare essentials, water and bread...and margaritas...Yaay "-Mr. Marsh

95 camry:

JVC Deck

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

I have had several amps repaired by db-r, always happy.

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

• 4 weeks later...

Price is pretty reasonable in my eyes, I wouldn't hesitate to send them any of my amps for repair.

Price may be descent but the cash input may be an issue, especially since the amp would be sitting dusted until I have use for it(no it wont be for sale, this ia20.1 is like a sibling to me).

Yea CIA engineering we need to do a tactical insertion on that place, Got a amp shipped directly to me from there, its like they have 2 people working in a residential basement fixing/repairing electronics.

Speaking of repaired amps, anyone who has had a larger amplifier fixed 2000w+ did anyone ever notice a decrease in performance because of replacement parts or a inability to press the amp to its near max?

95 camry:

JVC Deck

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

Speaking of repaired amps, anyone who has had a larger amplifier fixed 2000w+ did anyone ever notice a decrease in performance because of replacement parts or a inability to press the amp to its near max?

I repair amps, done a few 2-3-4-5kw ones before.

If you do it properly (like db-r does) you'll get the same or even better performance than factory.

A SAZ-3000D I rebuilt is at close to 100 full tilt burps at 0.5 ohms and it's still going hard :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!