computer power supply question

dont know if this belongs here or not but becouse of the ability to use a computer power supply to power low power amps would they also be able to have a battery in the mix to maybe be able to up the size of the amp or no?

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

dont know if this belongs here or not but becouse of the ability to use a computer power supply to power low power amps would they also be able to have a battery in the mix to maybe be able to up the size of the amp or no?

Are you talking about running a car subwoofer in your house/dorm/etc? Just hook the amplifier up to a car battery and have it on a trickle-charger and you should be fine. What amplifier are you planning to use?

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

• 1 month later...

We had a 550 watt PSU wired to a 600 watts RMS M650 amplifier running 2 12's and it worked fine... Just wire all 12v rails together, (yellow wires on the PSU molent connectors) and all the grounds, (black)and leave 1 yellow out to hook to amp remote... You will need a jumper wire on I believe the green wire to one of the ground wires to turn on power to the PSU. You will need to use rocker switch on back of PSU to turn on and off...

We had a 550 watt PSU wired to a 600 watts RMS M650 amplifier running 2 12's and it worked fine... Just wire all 12v rails together, (yellow wires on the PSU molent connectors) and all the grounds, (black)and leave 1 yellow out to hook to amp remote... You will need a jumper wire on I believe the green wire to one of the ground wires to turn on power to the PSU. You will need to use rocker switch on back of PSU to turn on and off...

My friend bridged the green wire and a ground with a switch, which you could also do so you don't have to play with the PSU all the time. You could extend the wires and run the switch somewhere you can easily access it.

Too many projects, too little time...

My friend bridged the green wire and a ground with a switch, which you could also do so you don't have to play with the PSU all the time. You could extend the wires and run the switch somewhere you can easily access it.

We thought about that, but flipping the switch on the back would be the same thing... But, if it didnt have a switch on the back, like a lot don't, that would be a perfect answer for that problem!!! Crap I never thought about that!!!! LOL! I even had one without a switch that we put back on the shelve for that reason! What size PSU he use and do you know what he pushed with it and how did it do? Our setup did ok...