DC Sound Lab

Alright, I am in the search for a new box design. Not asking for a new design now but just recommendations...

First off I was told by a couple of people on here that I want a smaller box than what I have. Currently its about 4.5 cuFt and it isn't quite banging like I have seen others do. The excursion isnt what I have seen others do either (on youtube). I figured out today I was clipping my deck a little bit but it wasn't anything major. I easily fixed that by tweaking the EQ a little bit. I was clipping the amp a hair as well but when I fixed my deck the amp was fine. I was able to move the gain a good amount but still it isn't banging as hard as it should.

Anyway to the whole box idea / design here. What is the displacement of a level 5 15 dc? I was told its .23 but that may be off. I was also told that I want a big box and that 4.5 cuFt would make the woofer loud as hell. Well its not to be honest (tuned to about 31hz).. I was told a few days ago that I need a box between 1.75 and 2.5 cuFt after displacement because I am throwing ~3500 watts at it (SAZ-3500D). And for two 15s 2 - 2.75 cuFt per woofer would be the best if I get level 5 15 and another 3500D. I see Thor is running a box much smaller than what he should AND is throwing 5kw per 10" level 5 woofer. Those things look like they are going to blow out of his box... Also that with anything more than 2k watts you should always fire the port and woofer towards the cab of the car and seal off the trunk. Well my trunks not sealed off (one reason why I want to rebuild the box) and I don't think my box is tuned to where it should be. I think I want more back pressure (smaller box) because that will cause it to climb in db during comps.

My trunk is about 42" wide, 17.5" tall and 41" deep. The only problem that doesn't make it square is the support beam between the C pillars. It acts as the lock for the back seats and is angled towards the rear of the car. The middle of it is the smallest part of the bar leaving that to the biggest part opening towards the cab. It is also roughly 5 inches thick and is hollow. If you were to measure from the back side of the bar to the rear of the trunk you will get only about 30 inches because there is one of those stupid child safety lock things. I tried to remove it once before but its welded to all hell and would be a bitch to remove it. I need to keep this car looking stock so I am pressed for space and weight. So I need to keep the back seats in place and take them out for comps (temperately).

I think I am the victim of inexperience and peoples bad advice... But by posting and reading and reading some more and then reading more and then watching videos I think I am slowly growing my knowledge.

[Edit] To fix some spelling mistakes and fix a few bad numbers

Edited by Hell-Razor

if the displacement of the sub is off a lil bit it wont make a noticeable difference. trial and error is the way to go. pics of the trunk!!

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

so you saying ur lvl 5 like laughs at 4k? bc im thinkin 1 lvl 5 12 on 4k. just need to know before i make any decisions. anyways ot like they said its trial and error. build another couple boxes at diff cubes and tuning and you should find the money box

2004 Grand Prix

HU: Alpine 9886 :( for sale

Sub Amp:AQ2200d (possbly 2)

Enclosure:BCP Designs. Best for the Money

Electrical:1 Stinger SPV70 battery

Subs:2 15 D2 AQ HDC coppers

Wiring:0gauge power SoundQuest

Wiring:0gauge ground Kicker

141.8 @ 28hz tl legal on the dash.

142.6 @ 33hz tl legal on the dash.

so you saying ur lvl 5 like laughs at 4k? bc im thinkin 1 lvl 5 12 on 4k. just need to know before i make any decisions. anyways ot like they said its trial and error. build another couple boxes at diff cubes and tuning and you should find the money box

They laugh at 4k when they are in the proper enclosure and its clean power. Clip em and you can kill them on 1k.

steven.jpg

my alt is dying and im so close to having a dc alt. so itd be 4 k off of that and 2 stinger spv series and a couple runs of 0gauge. and set the gains with an o-scope and still hopefully push the full 4k

2004 Grand Prix

my alt is dying and im so close to having a dc alt. so itd be 4 k off of that and 2 stinger spv series and a couple runs of 0gauge. and set the gains with an o-scope and still hopefully push the full 4k

Good luck 4k is a lot of juice I dunno how big those stingers are,but I bet your going to have quite a bit of voltage drop with that. If your putting the lvl 5 on 4k make your box on the smaller side of what is recommended like around 3 cubes.

steven.jpg

spv70's... 3cubes for a 12?? i was thinking 2?

2004 Grand Prix