Infinite baffle sub woofer

Hey guys, i'm new to home theater audio, and i'm looking to install a 15 " infinite baffle subwoofer. unfortunatly, the room im planning on installing it in, has a floor directly above it and no rooms around it where i could mount the sub in between. One idea i came up with was putting the subwoofer in a sealed enclosure with one or two passive radiators mounted on it as well, to provide "room" for the sub woofer to move. How well will this work? Can you guys recommend a better way of doing it?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Passive radiators work like ports, but can be tuned much lower to not have to deal with the long ports.

I would not use sealed for HT unless you have a long excursion woofer, plenty of power, and a good EQ to flatten out the low end response.

I am building a (8) 18" IB in my HT right now. Never had an IB setup, so I hope I like it.

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Passive radiators work like ports, but can be tuned much lower to not have to deal with the long ports.

I would not use sealed for HT unless you have a long excursion woofer, plenty of power, and a good EQ to flatten out the low end response.

I am building a (8) 18" IB in my HT right now. Never had an IB setup, so I hope I like it.

Brian

thanks for the reply, how would you recommend i do this then? would the passive radiator idea work well? im not expecting rock bottom responses like some people go all out for. i haven't seen a ported sub that hit low enough for my liking.

What sub are you going to use? It could be the sub choices and box designs.

Current system:

Previous systems:

i like downfire boxs for home theatre but to each his own

could run a downfire ported box, or a box with the powered sub on one side and the passave radiator under it in a downfire, mtx built one like that but i unno how it sounded, just seen it in a mag

ive got a prolly 5&1/4 or 6&1/2'' sub in my home theatre in a bandpass box and it sounds pritty good, but i wanna make a bigger setup and run my 2 mtx 600 8'' dual 4ohm subs in a bandpass, ported downfire, or a sealed downfire and put my klh 250w plate amp inside the box to run it off of

i thought with teh infinite baffle design u was gunna mount the sub in the wall or floor lol

anyways good luck :)

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

Why use an IB sub if you do notnhave anywhere to mount it IB??

Parts express has several different plate amps. The dayton or bash they carry are both good amps.

Current system:

Previous systems:

Why use an IB sub if you do notnhave anywhere to mount it IB??

Parts express has several different plate amps. The dayton or bash they carry are both good amps.

is it untrue that IB subs hit way lower than subs meant for vented or sealed enclosures? or is it the very fact that it is mounted in an infinite baffle that gives it its low frequency response? Either way, for a 10 x 12 room. what would you recommend then for getting the lowest possible response?

Archived