Second Skin Audio

Need Help - Vented Enclosure

Hi guys,

I pretty much spend most of my day on these forums at work. For once I thought I'd ask a question. Since I'm in need and know there is a lot of extremely good knowledge here. Now please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area. And don't flame me for not " searching " good enough. I need answers in relation to my self not others.

I'm currently running 4 12" 450RMS subs (all in separate enclosures but made into one SEALED box) and 4 450RMS amps one for each. Now, it's loud don't get me wrong but I want more of a " wow-factor " and I know vented boxes will achieve this easily. The problem is, I'm stuck because I have no clue what the box size should be, how big the port area should be.

My sub are recommended to be using 1.65cu.ft(47.7 liters) and recommended port size 3"Dia x5.5" but I want to make it into one big box. So do I just times everything by 4? It doesn't seem that easy. Also I'm not sure what to tune it at. I'm really lost, I'm good at wiring and building just the math included has my brain going sideways.

Please someone help me here. I really want to do this right. That's why I'm asking for help and not trying to get in above my head and so some dumb shit and burn out my system.

Thanks in advanced!

I'm not an out of control driver, I'm completely in control.. only sideways..

-Nissan R32GTR running 213KW RB20DET on 14lbs of boost.

-Holden Commodore VY SS UTE running stock.

-Holden Rodeo mini truck project, soon to be running SR20 on 13lbs of boost.

-Landcruiser UTE running 1UZFE v8 11" Lift on 35" MT Classic II's wrapped in Cooper STTs.

^^ and the list goes on..

hi man welcome to the forums. always good to see another member.

whats the model woofer that you're using? and no its not that simple as to multiply everything by 4 haha.

Yeah mate didn't think so, also as I'm living in Australia the stock is limited in my area (I'm really the only person in my entire area doing anything audio related) so until I get my Dad in the states to get some real woofers I'm using some Pioneer TS-W308D4's. You'll laugh probably but the Rocksford Powers here are over 1100 each. Was going to get some JLW7's but decided not to.. they're just as over priced in this country. I'm pretty disappointed in the stock in Tasmania. It's impossible to import as well. I paid nearly 240 dollars each for them. Way over prices if you compare them to others. Anyway that's beside the point. I've mastered the sealed box. Built about 7 now 3 being fully fiberglassed. Trying my hand at ported.

Thanks again.

-Landcruiser UTE running 1UZFE v8 11" Lift on 35" MT Classic II's wrapped in Cooper STTs.

WOW 1100. im curious but have you looked at other brands such as Digital Designs, Fi Car Audio, DC Audio, Ascendant Audio, and Audioque? i dont know about the going rates for shipping but you should keep some of those brands in mind if you ever plan on upgrading.

anyways, ill throw up a quick box design for free since i feel like being nice today haha. give me a few minutes and ill give you dimensions.

edit: except i forgot to ask you what your max dimensions in your car/truck are that i can use. also what kind of car

Edited by Kranny

Max for height is 36 inches max for width is 47 inches no depth limit really. Probably have around 20 inches depth to play with.

Also yeah I would love to look outside other brands. It's just a matter of getting them into Tasmania. Australian customs are pains in the asses. They didn't even let my old school PS1 come through last year.

And it's a Hyundai Getz.

picture002rp.jpg

Here's the car, and after me ripping the guts out to recover / repaint all the insides. To give you an idea of the size I have to play with.

picture001ks.jpg

Edited by Cynner

I'd like to make it a sealed wall (No back seats just lots of room to work with!) with the possibility of upgrading to VERY high powered subs something along the lines of 1000 - 2000rms each x 4.

Here's what I have to work with exactly. If possible I'd love to make it have a little extra room on the sides. Depth is what I'm scared about.

48" Wide

20" Deep based on the layout of the car though 20" max unless the box is not as wide then I can go back as far as I want.

36" Height

I really appreciate you doing this! I got quoted 3000 dollars for a custom box and install by a local audio shop (didnt want the install or box was just wondering how much I'd be looking at to save time and the box wasn't a full wall) I told them to stick it up their ass, MDF and fiberglass doesn't cost 3000 they're charging way to much for their labor. It's insane. If it helps I really want to be loud. I've done the SQ route and it's nice but I always loved sitting behind other cars and making everyone in the car turn around and give that " WTF ? " look. Since I'm the only guy in my city doing it. Thought I should go as loud as possible. No DB limits here thank god.

Also whats better, building a wall? or laying the subs down facing up like I've seen done a lot.

Edited by Cynner

Don't know if I did this right, someone please input is possible.

Enclosure

35" H

35" W

30" D

Total Volume 17.57cf

Port Length

5" H

13" W

Just seems like to much space.. maybe I'm wrong. I've never tried a ported box. I'm just using calculators that I've found links to on here.

Do I need 17cubic feet for 4 12" subs or less? Is my port area to small? Trying to get everything built over the weekend as it's the only time I have. Please help someone! If you need any more values for drivers let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

/bump anyone?

Nice to see a fellow Tasmanian on this fine site. Where are you located in the state.

Going by the sizes you have up there I came up with 18.51cuft net. Thats alota box for a getz. What are you wanting to do with the little bus?

Systems:

Fun Car:

Deck: Alpine CDA-9887

Front sounds: Alpine SPR-175A x2

Front power: RF T400.2 Benched at 265x2 rms @ 2ohm

Subs: RF T1 10 dual 4 Ohm x1

Sub power: RF R500.1

Box yet to be built.

All in a Mazda 323 Hatch in the cargo area only.

Daily hack:

Deck: Alpine CDA-9886

Front sounds: RF T152 5.25" coax x2

Front power: RF Power T400.2

Subs: Alpine SWR-1021d x4

Sub power: RF Power T20001

4.59cuft net 56" of port tuned to 32hz.

Work ute

Deck: Alpine iDA-X303

Speakers front: Stock

Speakers rear: None

Subs: Alpine type S SWS-1040

Amp: Alpine MRV-T320 x1 for woofer.

Box 1.42 cuft 39hz hidden under tray in blow thru design.

New ute to be much different.

I live in Hobart, and you? Also at the moment it's all nice SQL very loud but not quite what I want.. I'd rather play around a bit more with SPL. Since my hearing is bad anyway. I want it louder than the average person can take.