Studio sub recomendations

Alright, so heres my predicament. Iv got 2 yorkville YSM-2P Monitor speakers, 5.25 inch woofers, 1 inch tweeters. 35 watts on the low end amp, 14 on the high. I want to incorporate a sub woofer into the system. I really dont want to buy a sub from some company, only because they are all very expensive and i feel that i could make some money by doing it myself. Im thinking of an FI Q 15" sub. dual 2 ohm voice coil. I already know im putting it in a sealed box, (not going for SPL) probably about 2 cuft. What should i use for a crossover? as well as an EQ? im already thinking about using a bash 500W amp. It would be preferred if the crossover has 1/4" ins, that way i don't have to go unbalanced from my recording interface to the crossover. its doable without them. Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: Its a small room. 10' x 12' 7.5 foot ceiling.

The reason you want to buy from 'some company' is if they are indeed a reputable company, then they have invested considerable effort in designing the enclosure to be phase coherent with low time delay, vent mach, port resonances etc. A studio system (assuming this is a live room, not a mastering studio) needs to have a very flat frequency response and MUST BE PHASE AND TIME coherent. If you are not sure how to design enclosures to be phase and time coherent, do not apply the design into a studio environment. Most people do not need nor pick up on coherency in car and, for the most part, home theatre systems. But in a recording studio it is a MUST as you do not want to translate your errors and inconsistancies in the mix to other systems through misleading monitors.

Without attacking you personally, I will point out a few things. Firstly, you have chosen a driver probably through brand image and preconceptions. However, without knowing exactly how you are going to implement a driver, how can you choose? You should be basing this choice on resonant frequency, moving mass, QTS, motor force, sensitivity and displacement. Knowing what you are aiming for regarding a flat response, low end extension etc will give you a much better idea of what driver you require. Also, you have said enclosure volume will be 'probably about 2cft.' If I were designing an enclosure, especially one for studio purposes, I would know the internal volume down to the last millilitre displaced by staples. Lastly, you are stating you wish to use an equalizer. I am going to reccommend that you do not. Sure, some people say 'You can just EQ it out,' but there is an old saying;

"An electrical filter in front of an acoustic problem is still an acoustic problem."

If you fix the issue, or response as the case may be, acoustically you will be much better for it, as you keep consistancy within the passband. For example, adding +4dB @ 33Hz to compensate the effect of the woofer being in a certain place in the room does nothing to help the fact the woofer is set up in the wrong place in the room.

The Fostex, Dynaudio, Behringer, Alesis and KRK offerings a quite good. If you really want to have great low end, the Genelec range are superb. Finally, in my usual way, I'll finish by reccommending Meyer Sound.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived