Second Skin Audio

just want to learn

ok i know how build a box everyone does but the port is the one im getting lost at like port height i know width and lenght but whats the height? i mean if i go 2.75 width and lenght 21inches that mean 21inches long from start to finish and making sure the gap is 2.75 inches from start to finish too am i correct? so whats the deal with the height. sorry for being a noob but wanna learn and take my build to the next level thanks guys :drinks:

ok so basicly i dont need to be 2.75 width port all the way through the port lenght? sorry if i sound confusing :/

so lets say im make a box 20 tall 12 width 10 deep and my port is going to be 2.75 width and my height is gonna be 10 inches can i go back with the port if its called for 12 inches in lenght with out going through the whole port lenght of 2.75?

Edited by 808state

the width need to be the same throughout the entire length of the port....if your port is suppose to be longer than the depth of your box you make a bend...like an "L"...

Edited by andym85

i likes me some audio stuff...

take a look at this pic...height and width give you the area (square inches) of port...the length adjust tuning for a given port area.

length is suppose to be measured down the middle of the box indicated by the red line...

there is also something called 'end correction' which equates to half the ports width

if you are using a box wall as part of the port, as illustrated in the below pic, then the port actually becomes longer than it physically is

so physical length + end correction = effective length of the port

the volume the port takes up inside the box also need to be subtracted from the box volume when calculating frequency...its like a giant loop equation....when u adjust port length, it adjust the box's net volume, which in turn adjust the tuning..

Untitled.jpg

Edited by andym85

kool ok now i think i might be getting somewhere is there a program i can play with to see where im at?

ok yeah i tried download the sticky one and it doesnt let me :(

just go to the link i posted and mess around with it...