quick question about wiring...

if you wire your two batteries together then everything in the car is running off the 2 batteries + the alternator. starting your car uses both batteries. running the alternator all the way to the back battery is absolutely pointless and a waste of time and energy.

wtf? LOL. Lemme try this again. In the beginning my car ran off of one battery. This battery powered everything in my car fine. I put in subs. All lights dim. I bought a new battery for the amp. The new battery isn't connected to the front battery. A 0 gauge wire runs from the alt to the back battery to keep it charged. The stock wiring goes to the front battery to keep it charged. TA-DA! DOES THIS SITUATION WORK?

edit: and btw "I'm asking If I were to disconnect the two batteries" this means that the batteries aren't connected

Edited by manofthehour

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack

-Polk Audio db6501 (front components)

-Polk Audio db651 (back coaxials)

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Custom box tuned to 33Hz

- Kinetik HC1400

- 50 ft2 of Audio Technix sound deadner

- Big 3

My photography page

wtf? LOL. Lemme try this again. In the beginning my car ran off of one battery. This battery powered everything in my car fine. I put in subs. All lights dim. I bought a new battery for the amp. The new battery isn't connected to the front battery. A 0 gauge wire runs from the alt to the back battery to keep it charged. The stock wiring goes to the front battery to keep it charged. TA-DA! DOES THIS SITUATION WORK?

so you bought a new battery and only hooked it up to the amp and not the front battery...why didnt you connect the 2 batteries together using 0 gauge in the first place. you lose so much current and voltage running that long of a piece of wire. who told you to do it this way in the first place? and no this situation doesnt work. not well at least.

edit: heres how your car should be wired up, at least the positive side. blue = fuse blocks, red = 0 gauge (if amp doesnt accept 0 gauge, then its 4 gauge)

io1xza.jpg

Edited by Kranny

so you bought a new battery and only hooked it up to the amp and not the front battery...why didnt you connect the 2 batteries together using 0 gauge in the first place. you lose so much current and voltage running that long of a piece of wire. who told you to do it this way in the first place? and no this situation doesnt work. not well at least.

That was a hypothetical situation used so you could understand what I was asking. Im no electrical engineer but where does the current and voltage go? it just disappears?

edit: and does this mean everyone who connects their amp to the front battery is also losing voltage and amperage on the long trip to the amp in the trunk?

Edited by manofthehour

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

edit: heres how your car should be wired up, at least the positive side. blue = fuse blocks, red = 0 gauge (if amp doesnt accept 0 gauge, then its 4 gauge)

io1xza.jpg

thats how its wired up now

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

thats how its wired up now

then you're fine. the ONLY WAY to stop dimming is to start at the power source, aka the alternator. a bigger alternator outputs more power = not having to strain as much = more voltage = less dimming

then you're fine. the ONLY WAY to stop dimming is to start at the power source, aka the alternator. a bigger alternator outputs more power = not having to strain as much = more voltage = less dimming

uhhh i thought alternators put out amperage?

edit: and here's what im talking about... the amp is fused too

wiring.jpg

Edited by manofthehour

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

uhhh i thought alternators put out amperage?

they output electricity, which is composed of voltage (they create AC but is transformed into DC but thats not important), amperage (amps), and resistance (ohms).

edit: no that is not the correct way to wire 2 batteries. the diagram i "drew" is the correct way.

Edited by Kranny

alternators produce current (AKA Amperage) at a specified voltage (AKA 14 volts)

alternators are the ONLY way to raise your voltage/ amperage (this will only work if your charging current is more than your discharging current)

kranny has been right.

**edit

your diagram WORKS, but is a waste of time. you'll have less voltage drop if you do it the way kranny drew up

Edited by J00bles

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

they output electricity, which is composed of voltage (they create AC but is transformed into DC but thats not important), amperage (amps), and resistance (ohms).

edit: no that is not the correct way to wire 2 batteries. the diagram i "drew" is the correct way.

ok man I just dont understand why not. There doesn't seem to be a reason why it wouldn't work...

Edited by manofthehour

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

ok man I just dont understand why not. There does seem to be a reason why it wouldn't work...

dont get me wrong it WILL work, it just wont work as efficiently (voltage drop across the long length of wire) as the "correct" way.