Need help on Big 3 (alternator)

Hey guys, I was smoothly working on the big 3 until i ran into a problem with my alternator. I thought it was going to be a simple unscrew the nut and slap the wire on type deal, but its not. The picture here shows the alternator bolt. the first top nut is actually a bolt/washer combo so i cant unscrew it off. The only option i have left is to take the larger back nut off, but that is promptly being blocked by a washer, which i cannot remove alone. I've tried pulling the washer off but no luck, its stuck on there pretty tight. I was going to try to put the wire on and add an additional nut, but then i wouldn't be able to put the bolt back into the alternator. That entire bolt fits into the alternator. So, any suggestions? I would like this install to be done by today! Thanks again!

DSC06613.jpg

Oh and another thing, this alternator piece that kind of holds the bolt inside of the alternator kind of snapped and broke off as i was jiggling the bolt out. Is it urgent that i get a new one of these or can i just leave it the way it is?

DSC06615.jpg

Hmm, looks like both nuts can be removed hence the threaded end on the smaller one. Use a vice grip to hold the bigger nut and another vice grip/socket/wrench to unscrew the smaller nut and try unscrewing it that way.

As for the piece that holds the bolt, I think you're gonna need a new alternator. I mean, you could try to put it back together but with the piece broken off, I don't think the alternator is going to work/charge right.

just got back from outside and i was trying the vice grip idea, but no luck at all. These nuts are such a bitch to get off. And as for the broken piece i'm sure i can just buy a new one from a honda dealership if it doesnt hold the bolt in place correctly, its just a piece of plastic

it probibly wont wont with that peice off so id get a new one... but before you get a new one, get shitty batt and see if the alt will charge it... if it blows up it blows up :rofl: hah just make sure if ya try this to charge the batt AWAY from your car...

i think araggi is having a sale right now :woot:

EDIT: damn you posting 3 seconds before me... just got to the honda dealership and see if they can help ya out...

24v1fe8.png

wow now this just shows that smd isnt just any forum. We are a brother hood.

here let me put it in retard-onix for u aareehhhh duuuurrrrr ehhh got it now?

Sweet baby jesus the amount of quoting the quote above the quote in a quote is epic

alright, thank you sir. let me know if they sell that piece, and i'll make sure to see if the alt still charges the battery. I'm gonna put the stuff back together since i dont have the appropriate tools to take these nuts off. But before i do i'd like to ask if its safe to keep my other 2 big 3 wires connected, the battery neg to ground and engine block to ground. If I have to take them off let me know so i dont screw anything up

Well, i have some slightly bad news for myself. I started up the car and the battery voltage was sitting up around 12. So i'm fairly sure that my alt is no longer charging my battery. I'm not really sure what the problem could be unless that black piece of plastic is really that important. I left the grounds for the big 3 in, but that would hardly do anything. I know the alt was charging the battery before this, so if anyone has any speculations i would greatly appreciate it

Archived