Sonic Electronix

Need help with Subs wired at 2 ohm

I just took my kicker 15s out of the box (sealed box, thats how I bought them) to see what gauge wiring they had as I have 12 gauge so if it was less gauge then what I had i would replace it

2 questions

1) 1 sub is wired with 10 gauge and the other with 16 gauge, will this affect the subs at all, i cant play them at the moment as i dont have an amp to power them, but i want to know if they will be fine or if i should go ahead and replace the wiring with my 12 gauge

2) both subs are originally 4 ohm dvc, but the vcs are wired together at 2 ohms, neg. wired together and pos. wired together then 1 wire from 1 neg. and ps. wired to terminal of the box, according to many diagrams ive looked at that should make them wired down to 2 ohms, if they are wired down to 2 ohms, how does that affect the power rating

they are rated at 500rms at 4 ohms, do they still handle the 500 at 2 ohms but perform better? or should i put less to them

i just want to be sure i get an amp to match them as closely as possible, i was planning on getting something that does between 400-500rms to each sub, bit less than the full rms for longevity i guess

so when looking for an amp i should now check the 2 ohm rating and how much it can put out at that impedance, i plan to get a class d mono amp if the price is affordable for me

any help is appreciated

if you cannot understand what i am trying to ask i will try to better explain myself

1) 1 sub is wired with 10 gauge and the other with 16 gauge, will this affect the subs at all, i cant play them at the moment as i dont have an amp to power them, but i want to know if they will be fine or if i should go ahead and replace the wiring with my 12 gauge

2) both subs are originally 4 ohm dvc, but the vcs are wired together at 2 ohms, neg. wired together and pos. wired together then 1 wire from 1 neg. and ps. wired to terminal of the box, according to many diagrams ive looked at that should make them wired down to 2 ohms, if they are wired down to 2 ohms, how does that affect the power rating

they are rated at 500rms at 4 ohms, do they still handle the 500 at 2 ohms but perform better? or should i put less to them

i just want to be sure i get an amp to match them as closely as possible, i was planning on getting something that does between 400-500rms to each sub, bit less than the full rms for longevity i guess

so when looking for an amp i should now check the 2 ohm rating and how much it can put out at that impedance, i plan to get a class d mono amp if the price is affordable for me

1) yes it will affect performance. 10 gauge wire has less of a resistance than 16 gauge, so it will mess with your impedance ratings. replace everything with the same brand same wire, 12 gauge should be more than enough.

2) wiring to 8 ohms 4 ohms 2 ohms doesnt affect power ratings. a 500rms rating on the woofer is still 500rms. but mind you that a higher ohm load will need a larger amplifier (and more expensive) to play those woofers than a lower ohm load. oh yea and 2 dvc 4 ohm woofers CANNOT be wired to 2 ohms together. yes 2 ohms if you parallel each but not when you wire them together no.

only this

2_4ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

and this

2_4ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

thanks i thought i should use the 12 gauge wiring, i am happy i decided to check the wiring

yea each sub is in its on sealed compartment inside a dual sealed box

each subs dvc is wired in parallel but the subs themselves are not in parallel, so thats why i thought they were 2 ohm load, cause i saw a diagram somewhere on here, where it showed wiring similar to mien and it said they were 2 ohm load

for this

2_4ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

i wonder if i can do this with the subs in their sealed compartments?

can i wire the pos and neg of each sub together like it shows here, and then instead of a wires going directly to the amp can the pos and neg that are wired together go to the pos terminal and neg terminal for each sealed compartment and then one of the pos goes to the pos on amp and the neg goes to neg on amp

here is a diagram to show what im trying to say

8zi5xt.gif

will that give it a 1 ohm load?

sorry if it looks confusing

thanks i thought i should use the 12 gauge wiring, i am happy i decided to check the wiring

each subs dvc is wired in parallel but the subs themselves are not in parallel, so thats why i thought they were 2 ohm load, cause i saw a diagram somewhere on here, where it showed wiring similar to mien and it said they were 2 ohm load

for this

2_4ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

can i wire the pos and neg of each sub together like it shows here, and then instead of a wires going directly to the amp can the pos and neg that are wired together go to the pos terminal and neg terminal for each sealed compartment and then one of the pos goes to the pos on amp and the neg goes to neg on amp

8zi5xt.gif

Yes it will make a 1 ohm load to tha amp.

for this

2_4ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

8zi5xt.gif

Yes it will make a 1 ohm load to tha amp. So you will need an amp of 1k watts rms at 1ohm.

alright thank you, was not sure if that was possible with the way the subs were sealed

i have already been looking at a few amps that do 1000-1200rms at 1 ohm, and i believe that is at 14volts, not sure where my car si at voltage wise, but i assume its around 12, i think thats stock volatage right?

so do you know how many amps you lose when you run at a lower voltage, if i got a 1200 rms amp at 1 ohm and put it on these subs, at 12 volts, what woudl ti really do, i saw on another thread where it said something like fusing times voltage times efficiency shows you how much amps it will really do, so could it ake that formula and just multiply the fusing by 12 then times that by efficiency to see what ti will actually do

im also going to try adn stay under 200 dollars, so ebay here i come

Archived