major alternator problem

Hello all.

I am currently experiencing a major problem, I had a family friend take a look and say it looks ok, but I beg to differ!!!

I was driving my car earlier today, everything was fine. Voltage was at a steady 15 volts, I was not running my sound system more then 1/2 up. Parked my car and shut it off, ran inside my house for about 20 minutes and came back out to go run an errand. I start my car to a teerrrible alt whine which I thought was an amp problem, but when I turned my HU, the noise persisted. The volt meter in my car is now reading 12.1-12.3.

I checked under the hood, my relay is good, regulator etc. Everything is hooked up correctly and tight. There is a terrible smell coming from around my alt, and after turning the car off I noticed light smoke coming from the alt... D: I'm so scared. What do I do? Could this be a serpentine belt issue? I installed the alt. And belt by myself, and have had belt squeal as a result, although that's a confusing story of its' own.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!!! I'm just really terrified to drive my car anywhere, so I'm getting rides from friends for the time being.

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

First off, 12.3 volts is resting voltage of the battery so dont drive it anywhere.

If it smells electrical then i have a feeling its an alt problem. A rubber smell indicates the belt. Try tightening the belt and see what happens.

What kind of alt is it?

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Its a 200amp alt made by excessive amperage. It definitely smells electrical :( my family friend said jus to drive it with everything off such as stereo etc but noo!!! I had it idling for 2 mins and smoke started rising. I jus don't get it because 30 minutes prior it was working just fine.

wizv.jpg

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

Just out of the blue went all hay wire on him like mine is doing now?? :(

The first sign of a ALT dieing is you smell something electrical burning. That's what his did and it caught fire LOL.

And yes out of the blue.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

If it smells electrical then i have a feeling its an alt problem. A rubber smell indicates the belt. Try tightening the belt and see what happens.

If I tighten the belt, it becomes too tight and that's when I start to get a burnt rubber smell :(

wizv.jpg

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

The first sign of a ALT dieing is you smell something electrical burning. That's what his did and it caught fire LOL.

And yes out of the blue.

Awe well great bundles of joy :( thanks for the input sir

wizv.jpg

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm