14 and 16v batteries?

Hey guys I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage ok. And I am planning on putting in 2 4-channel amps and a mono block amp along with 2 subs, 4 tweeters and 4 speakers. I was thinking about getting a high output alternator in it as I have seen one that can put out 185 amps, but I was also thinking about a 14 volt battery.

However I was wondering how the 14 volt battery works on a 12 volt system. Everything on the car is designed to run off of 12 volts, so I'm wondering what the effect of putting in a 14 volt battery in it would be. And what would the charging requirements be?

Also wondering out of curiosity how a 16v battery would be used without destroying the system.

We have been through many charging systems for my Previa and have decided to go down the 14v battery route charging at 16.5v...We will be running XS Power D1400 batteries...

What I found out when researching into these systems, is you have 3 options...

1) Use the uprated alt at the higher charging voltage, use the 14v battery/ies in place of the 12v one, and pray everything is OK

2) Use the uprated alt at the higher charging voltage, use the 14v battery in the rear, and 12v in the front, use a voltage drop down unit, and still run the vehicle off the 12v battery and the audio system off the 14v battery...I know the XS Power unit will regulate the charging at 14.4v at 50amps max

3) Use the uprated alt as a second alt, keep the standard one, then use 2 different voltages for the car and the audio system

Another thing to remember, is the fact that most electrical systems in cars have to be able to cope with alternator/regulator malfunctions...when a regulator goes, ive personally seen charging voltages go up to around 16-17v and the car still run OK...

In the Previa, I have decided to go for option 1, however, have also decided to order a XS Power step down just incase things dont go to plan and then go for option 2!

Hope this helps

teamSPB

Thanks for that mate. I'm thinking I'll go with option number 3, seems to be the easiest one for me to use. I'll just say goodbye to aircon or something haha and try mount it where the compressor is or something and squeeze the battery next to where the second sub will be going. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm actually a second year auto electrician so I know a bit but not a great deal. The place I work doesn't really do much audio, just the occasional stereo fit. So I don't have much experience with audio, however with charging systems I found anything over a 15 volt charge rate on a 12 battery system will destroy the battery. But I spose it didn't really effect the cars electronics. So yea I can see how a 14 volt battery would work with the electronics :)

Archived