Thoughts on this computer build?

So I'm going to be building my first PC and this is what I've come up with.

CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Gaming Case

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

CPU COOLING:Corsair H50

GRAPHICS CARD: ZOTAC AMP! ZT-40102-10P GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (2 of these)

HDD1:Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/128GB

HDD2: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

MEMORY:Kingston HyperX T1 Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP Tall HS Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3T1K3/6GX (2 of them + Kingston HyperX Fan)

Power Supply:SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Total:About $3400

I think I did a pretty good job.

Thoughts/Opinions/Advice? Will two Zotac Amps fit on a Rampage III Extreme?

I didn't buy this yet btw.

Edited by snackeyg

thats a nice build. about the sli question with the amp cards. yes they will fit you will just have to have the first card in the first slot and the second card in the 3rd slot. having the card in the 3rd slot with not make any difference from the second slot if thats what ur worried about

Edited by loudREcivic

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

thats a nice build. about the sli question with the amp cards. yes they will fit you will just have to have the first card in the first slot and the second card in the 3rd slot. having the card in the 3rd slot with not make any difference from the second slot if thats what ur worried about

I just worried about them being cramped for air flow, but it not making a difference is really reassuring too I didn't think about that.

Looks like a great build! Intel and Nvidia all the way! Don't let others try to sway you to other companies like AMD and ATI it's just cheap junk.

Post pictures when you finish building the beast.

Edit: only thing I noticed is you have two really beast video cards and a CPU that might bottleneck it a little. The better the CPU the better with big SLI builds.

Edited by gbsx

1989 E30 325i BMW (New Car)

iPad 64GB 3G (COMING SOON!)

1 12" DC LEVEL 4 w/LEVEL 5 Soft Parts

Ported box - 1.5 Cubes tuned to 33hz

Sound Stream STL1.1200D

4 Gauge Stinger Wire (+ & -)

8 Gauge Amp to Sub Stinger Wire

Tsunami Mini ANL 130 Amp Fuse

AUDIO WRAP SUPPORTER!

gbsxnesig.png

Looks like a great build! Intel and Nvidia all the way! Don't let others try to sway you to other companies like AMD and ATI it's just cheap junk.

Post pictures when you finish building the beast.

Edit: only thing I noticed is you have two really beast video cards and a CPU that might bottleneck it a little. The better the CPU the better with big SLI builds.

CPU would be over clocked to 4.0 Also I've been hearing the 950 is supposed to get a price cut. I'm honestly thing I might as well wait until between Black Friday and Christmas to buy this. Since all the sales will show up then. I'd probably end up with extreme regret if I don't wait.

Plus every six months or so there is something new out that will drop the price of the stuff your looking at now and you'll want that. Waiting would be smart but it looks like a good build and would last you quite a while. Goodluck to you!

1989 E30 325i BMW (New Car)

iPad 64GB 3G (COMING SOON!)

1 12" DC LEVEL 4 w/LEVEL 5 Soft Parts

Ported box - 1.5 Cubes tuned to 33hz

Sound Stream STL1.1200D

4 Gauge Stinger Wire (+ & -)

8 Gauge Amp to Sub Stinger Wire

Tsunami Mini ANL 130 Amp Fuse

AUDIO WRAP SUPPORTER!

gbsxnesig.png

Plus every six months or so there is something new out that will drop the price of the stuff your looking at now and you'll want that. Waiting would be smart but it looks like a good build and would last you quite a while. Goodluck to you!

Thanks. I'll post up pics once I have it. Hopefully it doesn't turn out awful. It's my first build so I'm gonna be extremely anal on it probably and it will take me longer than most people to build. lol

Thanks. I'll post up pics once I have it. Hopefully it doesn't turn out awful. It's my first build so I'm gonna be extremely anal on it probably and it will take me longer than most people to build. lol

Update for thoughts on this.

Case- changed to HAF X

Graphics cards- changed two dual 460 1gb EVGA Superclocked

HDD1- changed to 7200rpm 6.0gb/s 1TB drive

Ram-changed to 6gb

PSU-changed to 1000 watts

That cuts off $1000 and I think is much better for future proofing.

Your fierce and misguided brand loyalty restricts you from ever having a professional opinion in Information Technology. AMD and it's subsidiary company ATI design and manufacture a range of products from low power XGA graphics products to multiple processor server solutions. ATI as a company saw a slump in technologies and profits during the 1900XT-2900XT series, although now see regular profit margins competing with and occasionally exceeding nVidia due to a breakthrough in die yields as well as a break away from Moore's Law.

I would like to think the AMD processing power in my workplace server room is not cheap junk. If it was, it would not be there. I am not an ATI fanboy, nor am I against Intel or nVidia products in any way, shape or form as I will specify whatever product will suit the task. That said, I discourage your biased opinion.

OP, good luck with your PC. You certainly have enough horsepower to do.....well....what can't you do PC wise with power like that?

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320