JBL MRX 528s

Hey Guys,

Can you pls give me some opinions on the jbl mrx 528 s!? The Reason i ask is, i can get a really good deal on those for around 500 euros (around 630$). Normally they would cost 999 euro (1270$). They would be driven with db technologies hpa 3100 l 2x1200 watt rms @ 4 ohms. Im now running a pair of jbl sf 25 ( want to replace them with mrx 525).If all goes well i want to run it 2 way with a dbx driverack px. It should be for normal djing in small to mid sized rooms, and all kinds of music.Here in Germany most of the people who have experience with pa stuff from jbl, says they are crap because they only run high end gear from nexo,gae and so on. But i dont want to spend 15000 or more euros on a system with 2 tops 2 sub and a system amp.I only do small gigs 0-300 people.Since i know that are some people with pa equipment experience on here,i hope someone can help me.

SkiD

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

Stock Vw Navigation System with Audio System Hi/Low Converter ( 3.sixty or something like that in the Future)

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

2x Ground Zero Gzuw 15xii

Hi mate;

The MRX line is JBL's MI line of loudspeaker enclosures. They are of a good quality for MI loudspeakers however most people would not consider them 'pro'. Do not expect anything above 16KHz from the HF driver in the MRX line, and some have told me they find the crossover point on the MRX single fifteen inch loudspeaker too high allowing the midrange to be quite 'beamy' from the cone. The MRX is not a large step up from the JBL Sound Factor range, in fact more of a step sideways.

If you can, may I reccommend the JBL SRX line. Properly powered and processed, the SRX line really impresses. I'm from a Meyer Sound house and upon hearing an SRX722 rig for the first time I was quite impressed. Nothing wrong with purchasing used loudspeakers either as long as they are in good condition.

You are in Europe with the Euro dollar and popular NeXo rigs, so I will assume somewhere in the Scandanavian region or Germany? Be on the lookout for used Turbosound Flashlight+Floodlight, Martin rigs and Logic Systems. Apparently the Logic Systems products aren't half bad for the price. I don't know as I haven't used them, but I can vouch for the Flashlight+FLoodlight. An old Turbo rig is no slouch!

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Thanks Micky for your fast reply,

The Srx line is a tad too expensive for me.They would cost me about twice as much as the mrx.So if i find some other better tops in the same price range,that would be an option.So what about the mrx 528 subs? i could get 2 of them for a very good deal (both 1000 euros).

Locations would be small to mid sized rooms,like smaller clubs etc. They should be able to play all kinds of music, mostly charts. I think around most of it is 50-70hz. Since i dont have too much money availible, im looking more for "decent sounding loud subs" then loud very good sounding subs. I mean if you listen to hardstyle, dubstep or some rap to it, it shouldnt make such a difference in sq or am im wrong? I mean its not for live music or some open air events.

And yes, im from germany ;) I would love to run some nexo alpha or gae directors but that is definatley out of my price range, since a complete gae director system 2x tops 2x mid-bass 2x sublow and controller,system amp would cost around 20,000 :/

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

Stock Vw Navigation System with Audio System Hi/Low Converter ( 3.sixty or something like that in the Future)

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

Anyone?

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

Hi mate,

I am quite sure you will find the MRX528 and a suitable MRX full range box quite fine for your needs. However, the DBX Driverack PX is not a good choice of system processor. It does not have the required processing to properly align and integrate a loudspeaker system. The DBX Driverack 260 does and, funnily enough, the Behringer DCX2496 is actually a great system processor. I have spec'd three DCX units for different applications over four years with zero failures and issues.

You will need more amplifier power as well. For cheap and (mostly) reliable power, QSC RMX amplifiers are a great choice. The MRX range will benefit from lots of power and active processing wherever you can. An active three way system over Nuetrik NL4 will give you results.

Thanks,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

• 5 weeks later...

Update..

So i finally made my decision ;) I went not with Jbl..after i heard a direct comparsion between a jbl mrx 528 and a rcf s8001 it was really easy to say which one i would like to have.

Some Pics

SNC00088.jpg

SNC00086.jpg

SNC00073.jpg

All in all, im very impressed with this system.

Those Rcf's are loud,clean and play everything i throw at them easy.

Acutally, they sound like some home hifi subwoofers ;)

I went with the dbx driverack px because i got a very good deal on it(around 100euro)

The amp i went with is a t.amp proline 3000

It does 2x1500w rms @4ohms (Tested by some technicans,it does acutally 2x2020w rms @ 4ohm and 2x3000@2ohm)

Many people told me to look into this amp, and i would say those people really dont let me down.

I got my first gig with this system next weekend with around 150-200 people.I hope it performs like i wish ;)

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

• 2 months later...

Archived