Sonic Electronix

LOL i won't yell at you since you don't have this HU my HU goes from infinity being 0 (no sound) then it's like -120dBs or something then goes to 0 dB (the max) and at 0 dB the highs are way too distorted and I'm not going to turn my HU to the max since the good listening level is from -30dB to -20dB.

Ohhhhhhhh :rofl: Sorry =)

Ohhhhhhhh :rofl: Sorry =)

It's all good lol :good:

edit: I went to a car audio place (local one) and the main guy I talk to said it may be because the amp itself isn't getting the power it needs so it has to work harder (that dealing with the fact that the amp gets hot)

Edited by manofthehour

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack

-Polk Audio db6501 (front components)

-Polk Audio db651 (back coaxials)

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Custom box tuned to 33Hz

- Kinetik HC1400

- 50 ft2 of Audio Technix sound deadner

- Big 3

My photography page

Any more suggestions?

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

Ok just gonna put this out there, since nobody else seems to have noticed... on 99% of amps a setting like 170mV on the gain is MAXIMUM gain. As in, it's expecting to never see more than 170mV at the input so 170mV will drive it to the brink of clipping.

That's why your amp gets hot. And probably why it sounds like shit on higher notes.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Ok just gonna put this out there, since nobody else seems to have noticed... on 99% of amps a setting like 170mV on the gain is MAXIMUM gain. As in, it's expecting to never see more than 170mV at the input so 170mV will drive it to the brink of clipping.

That's why your amp gets hot. And probably why it sounds like shit on higher notes.

Very true. I realized that it was never originally that high (170mV) in the first place more like around 1V (maybe a little less) because I played a song that had some low tunes (like 32-35Hz) and my subs would go crazy and (im gonna guess) they were clipping like hell. So I pulled over and kept it playing while I turned the gain knob down to where it didn't sound like they were clipping which is at about 8o% which looks like 1V or a little less... but still failed the tuning test... but I'm really thinking it's because the amp doesn't get enough power from the front battery and has to work a lot harder... but o well I'll be thinking more about it and can always use some advice...

edit: and I still don't understand why the "safe" gain level (after tuning) is so much quieter when I have been running the current set-up for a couple months (and I always listen to it at the max) and the only problem I see is the amp getting too hot and the subs get hot too but I never found any problems with that (meaning they never smell or bottom out and to my ear they don't clip)

plus the amp (rated at 1000RMS is under powering the subs rated at 1200RMS for both)

Edited by manofthehour

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3

My photography page

Ok so here's the low down...

After about a week of testing the the subs max and amp max I've decided to actually tune it to the right amount... After tuning it I realized it's actually not any quieter than before... I don't know what happened but I tuned mine at about 60-70% of the max volume on the HU since that's what I usually listen to it at (loudness was also on which really is so the highs can keep up with the bass) tuned it and the gain was actually 5/7 of the way to the max (35V on the dmm)... Then I tested what it would be at 75-85% HU volume and loudness off it hit around 101V on the dmm which is good considering it used to be so high the dmm didn't read it... So that's my story... LOL in the end tuning it isn't so bad and makes me really want a bigger amp cuz these subs still got a lot to give... and my resting voltage of the battery is 14.89V which surprised me for a little yellow top optima... I'll be testing the V drop tomorrow to see how low it gets lol. Thanks for all the advice though from whoever gave it lol :drinks:

My stuff

'06 Scion xA:

-Alpine iDa-x100

-2 RE Audio SEX12D4s

-Cadence F1200-1D

- Kinetik HC1400

- Big 3