Sonic Electronix

so today to waste some time since i was bored all day, i decide to take out my 15 fi bl and connect it to my amp and free air it.

i had it connected at 2 ohms on my hifonics brutus bxi 2610 with the gain less than half way up so im guessing it was feeding the sub about 500 or 600 watts

the bl is fully loaded btw

so i get my cd with frequencies and i play 18 htz and have the bass knob 3/4 way up when i hear some noise that ive never heard before

is this normal?

I don't think gain = watts really, could be wrong though.

well i was just guessing/estimating about how many watts i was getting to the sub since nothing was turned more than half way except for the bass knob

and does turning both the gain AND the bass knob lead to clipping??

i dont have a dmm or a volt meter or clamp or any of those electrical tools to adjust anything so i was tuning by ear but then again i can definitely be clipping and not know it just because i dont hear any distortion

Edited by eduardo817

well i was just guessing/estimating about how many watts i was getting to the sub since nothing was turned more than half way except for the bass knob

and does turning both the gain AND the bass knob lead to clipping??

i dont have a dmm or a volt meter or clamp or any of those electrical tools to adjust anything so i was tuning by ear but then again i can definitely be clipping and not know it just because i dont hear any distortion

get a dmm...i dont know why you have such a large amp and you cant spring $15 for a dmm. dont even touch bass boost, or "bass knob" as you call it. unplug that freaking remote since its practically useless (in my eyes at least). and turning both knobs doesnt necessarily lead to clipping, but its far easier to clip that way. think about it this way. lets say you have the gain tuned so the amp can output the most CLEAN power that it can. then turning the bass boost knob up will lead the amp into clipping. now you may be thinking, why not just turn the gain down and turn the bassboost up? well why the hell would you want to make 45hz louder than every other frequency you can play?

edit: oh and also, x2 what dugee said.

Edited by Kranny

I don't think gain = watts really, could be wrong though.

Noo. It's to match the pre-out voltage of your headunit. You could have the gain and minimum and still get the max out of it if your pre-out voltage is high

Mids/Highs: stock Bang & Olufsen

Lows: Image Dynamics IDMax 12v.3

Power: Sony Xplod XM-D9001GTR:Knukonceptz 4 gauge

Box: 1.75 cu/ft Sealed

Past: Pioneer Premier TS-W1207 (2)/ Rockford Fosgate P210/ Image Dynamics ID10V.3/ Infinity Reference 311A/ Audiopipe AP-18001D

get a dmm...i dont know why you have such a large amp and you cant spring $15 for a dmm. dont even touch bass boost, or "bass knob" as you call it. unplug that freaking remote since its practically useless (in my eyes at least). and turning both knobs doesnt necessarily lead to clipping, but its far easier to clip that way. think about it this way. lets say you have the gain tuned so the amp can output the most CLEAN power that it can. then turning the bass boost knob up will lead the amp into clipping. now you may be thinking, why not just turn the gain down and turn the bassboost up? well why the hell would you want to make 45hz louder than every other frequency you can play?

edit: oh and also, x2 what dugee said.

lol OK now i get what your saying. oh and the amp was a gift i didn't buy it

i was just using the "bass boost" knob so i can turn the bass all the way down without having to mess with the EQ on my double din since its such a hassle.

is their a knob i can use to lower my bass without it messing with the bass boost? because thats what i basically want it for

well at least now i know how to blow my sub when im ready to recone it to change the impedance cool.gif