Second Skin Audio

determining the volume a sub takes up in an enclosure

MAXSPL_153

ok so im starting the box dims. and tryin to sketch some stuff out and ive run into how much volume the sub takes up in the box . i looked online for the specs and not really gettin it .theres a whole bunch of abriviations ive never seen before , and if i think im looking at the right number it says that an soundstream xxx-18 only takes up .136 ft3 ... that dosent seem to sound right to me .. am i looking at the right thing on the spec sheet ? heres the link for the specs.. http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/Subwoofers/xxx.htm i know ill probly get a bunch of hate mail on this question , but ive never really cared to build a box right to spec untill this build , so i gatta do it right . if it helps im doing the low tuned optimal enclosure . 6 ft3 with 2 6" x 22" ports .. probably aeros.

i think thats it bro

they dont usually take up huge amounts

a lot of times if you forget to account for it in the design with one woofer, you wont hear a HUGE difference

i know im about to get chewed out by some people for saying it doesnt make a difference, but read what I said

one woofer, and wont be a huge difference

it will, just like anything, effect it slightly

however not significantly depending on the box and amount of drivers

now if you forgot to account for that for 5 woofers, youd be missing a whole cube... how ever, again with 5 woofers, a cube wont make a HUGEEE difference as you should probably already have a big ass box

think about it as a percentage.

sound stream says 8 cubes max, 6 optimum, and 4 min

0.136 cubes in each of those would be

1.7% difference in 8 cubes

2.27% difference in 6 cubes

3.4% difference in 4 cubes

so obviously the smaller box you got, the bigger difference you will notice

but a 1.7% difference most likely will not be audible

others feel free to chew me out if im wrong

ty

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

hey thanks man , put it easy to understand .. i AM running more than 1 . im walling off my burban with 4 of um , but i plan to make a seperate box for each , then stack them in and frame it off to look like one big box . i fugured id have a little more sq doing it this way , and id have a better chance of not screwing up the dims of the box rather than wall it off as one big azz box. lol call crazy :) , but thanks for the advice man i appreciate it . only problem now is to determine how to make a 6 ft3 box with the sub and ports on the face , being deep enough for the 22" ports without going over 6 ft3 .

Archived