Sonic Electronix

SUBWOOFER BOX BUILD QUESTIONS.

So I got my hand on couple of programs that will help me build a box for my 15" fi BL sub.

I will be able to get everything calculated to what size box I need.

But I have a couple of questions before I dive into the build.

1. What is the type of wood I need?

2. what is a good thickness of wood to work with?

3. What are type of adhesive do i need to get?

4. I am going with a ported design, and i researched a couple of designs and wanted to know, what are the advantages and disadvantages to making all those curves and turns within the box? Is that needed to achieve certain frequencies.

FOR ex.

31291310095_large.jpg

23j0en4.jpg

or simple with no bends or anything just a simple port

ported.gif

the wood type most commonly used is called MDF (medium density fiberboard). And the most common thickness used is 3/4". I've used all kinds of adhesives and so far my favorite is titebond 3.

The curves in the port help with airflow. The cleaner the air flows through your port, the more efficient your box will be. Flares on the ends of ports smooth out air flow and allow higher port velocity without the HUFFFFFing sound you would get with wind turbulence.

Edit: as far as straight port versus slotted/bent port, it's all in what you can fit in the space you have to work with, one doesn't offer any real advantage over the other at our level of sound. If you were a serious SPL guy going for 10ths of decibles everywhere you possibly can, then you might care about such things, but then you wouldn't be asking these sorts of questions anyways.

Archived