Sonic Electronix

amp clipping and car audio batteries

Hey all. I have 2 questions for those people who like to answer and help. First is just curiosity. I was wondering if an amp that doesn't recieve enough current can still clip. Second is most important to me. I have a genesis coupe and they don't make h/o alts yet for it and I am told by 2 seperate shops that mine can't be rebuilt to something bigger. So I am stuck with my 110 amp alt for now. I have a hifonics brz2100.1d and wan't to run it fully. I can't do that for obvious reasons. I wan't to know about batteries. I know that if I just add a second battery it will just cause more strain on the alt without an isolator. What if I add 3 or 4. 1 for every 500 watts or so and put an isolator on them separate from the starting battery. I would not play the stereo when that batteries are low and charge them and then use them when they are charged and continue the cycle. The amp will dip into the batteries because the alt can't supply enough current. I won't play the system when the extra batteries are low. Just when the are fully charged. What do ya figure. Will this cycle of charging, playing bass,charging again draining be ok or am I dreaming? I would use kinetics I think.

Edited by Moley

A single XS power D3100 will work fine for it, then yes the amp can clip when not seeing full voltage, must be atleast bare minimum above 12v. Also change start battery to a agm battery.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

So 1 of those batteries will work. Good! Do I use it the way I described. By charging then playing music and then while recharging making sure I don't play music. Also I have done the big 3 with 0 guage and that helped slightly with dimming but the wire the goes from alt to battery I put through the fuse box. I just added the wire to the wire that was there. Can I run the wire directly to the battery? I don't know if the alt has a regulator inside or external or if that matters. Also thanks for the answer on amp clipping.

Yes I also concur you can clip an amp in any situation doing a couple of things wrong. And I would invest some money in a voltage meter that you should wire up to your amp and put where you can see it all the time, when the voltage gets below 12.5, stop and let it recharge. I would also invest in a good battery charger and charge your rear battery you are going to add monthly or weekly depending on how much you play it loud.

Edited by AMI CUSTOMS

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Are you sure they dont make a H.O. alt for your car, email Mechman or DC Power, they have a shit ton more alts than what is listed on there sites....

Edit:Also if your looking to rebuild the stock alt which isnt quite as good as a HO alt but better than the stocker, I wouldnt just go to a regualar mechanics shop I would look into someone who specializes in alts, also you might be able to have Mechman or DC Power to rewind your alt and put an overdrive pulley on your stocker to get more out of it.

Edited by CaptainzPlanetz

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Yes I also concur you can clip an amp in any situation doing a couple of things wrong. And I would invest some money in a voltage meter that you should wire up to your amp and put where you can see it all the time, when the voltage gets below 12.5, stop and let it recharge. I would also invest in a good battery charger and charge your rear battery you are going to add monthly or weekly depending on how much you play it loud.

Ya, I have an analog volt meter but I should get a digi like a stinger. And I have a good charger too so I think I am set then. Just need a battery and an isolator. What size battery ya figure? I want to get kinetic cause they are a good price online.

Are you sure they dont make a H.O. alt for your car, email Mechman or DC Power, they have a shit ton more alts than what is listed on there sites....

Edit:Also if your looking to rebuild the stock alt which isnt quite as good as a HO alt but better than the stocker, I wouldnt just go to a regualar mechanics shop I would look into someone who specializes in alts, also you might be able to have Mechman or DC Power to rewind your alt and put an overdrive pulley on your stocker to get more out of it.

I am pretty sure they don't make one yet for the gen coupe. Still keeping eyes peeled though. You can bet I will be the first one to get one.

Who is telling you that you need an isolator? I would get a kinetik 2400 at the minimum if kinetik is what you want to use.

2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Who is telling you that you need an isolator? I would get a kinetik 2400 at the minimum if kinetik is what you want to use.

[/quote

Why not. I don't want my starter battery to die. Besides I would have 2 different batterys in parallel which is not good. I wan't to run the battery in cycles. You are saying I should just hook it up with no isolator permanently?

Yeah, do you plan on driving it everyday? If so, your batteries will always be topped off, and if you maintain them with a battery charger, you will have a voltage drop across any type of isolator unless you use a large solenoid. Which if you want them unhooked from each other when the vehicle is off, that would be what I would use a solenoid.