Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

What type box should I use?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, So I just got a new Powerbass XL 8" sub and was wondering what kind of box I should use. I'm pretty new to making boxes and stuff but I'm willing to build whatever type would be best, I want it to be more SQ and hit low than anything else. So does anybody has some suggestions??

Posted

You could just throw it in a sealed. Or you could have a ported designed for you, or get funky and do a bandpass if the sub is suited to it. Or, go crazy and do a tapped horn or something, but they need quite specific T&S specs.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Posted

You could just throw it in a sealed. Or you could have a ported designed for you, or get funky and do a bandpass if the sub is suited to it. Or, go crazy and do a tapped horn or something, but they need quite specific T&S specs.

Here are the parameters.

VC Impedance: 4 ohm

Test Impedance: 3.98 ohm

Fs: 43 Hz

SD: 211.24 sqCM

Vas: 9.65 Ltr

Cms: 161.088 µM/N

Mms: 90.7 g

BL™: 12.876

Qms: 5.367

Qes: 0.663

Qts: 0.58

No: 0.128 %

Spl: 89 dB

Xmax: 6 mm

I'd like to do a tapped horn or t-line.

Posted

You can build either of those boxes for it, but it most likely isn't really suited. Since this is probably one of your first subs you should probably start with a ported box or so, no offense of course, it's just that T-lines and tapped horns have lots and lots of theory behind them, which is why I can't design you one, since I haven't researched them enough yet, nor have I built either of them.

Here are some websites if you are interested though:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/danley_tapped.pdf

http://www.cowanaudio.com/th.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1212465

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 549 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...