Please tell me why you can generally count on a starting point of 16 sq inches of port per cube for a ported box?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't 12-16 sq. inches of port area just a rule of thumb to try and reduce port noise not, a set in stone "starting point" for port size.

Well you told me basically I didn't know what I was talking about?

Now you want to listen?

Here ill help you.

8.cu.ft external box, 14-16sqin of port, tuned to 30hz.

If you can figure out the rest, then ill be happy that you learned something.

Don't come here and expect everything on a silver platter, go do some homework and come back and we will go from there.

2004 Yellow F150 STX 4x4 Single Cab

2 Yellow DC Power 270SP's Alts

4(and counting) XS Power 6500's

4 DD3515s Supercharged

53cu.ft 4th order blowthrough

8 DD M1b's

6 Selenium 8's

2 Selenium ST350s

154.1 @ 41hz Legal Burp

Build Log

Well you told me basically I didn't know what I was talking about?

Now you want to listen?

Here ill help you.

8.cu.ft external box, 14-16sqin of port, tuned to 30hz.

If you can figure out the rest, then ill be happy that you learned something.

Don't come here and expect everything on a silver platter, go do some homework and come back and we will go from there.

Well there isn't much I can do to the box now. I like it.

if i can add some advice i'de just have to say RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. and then when u think u know about what ur talking about. RESEARCH AND RESEARCH SOME MORE. lol and don't believe anyone who's trying to sell you audio equipment. they thrive on people who haven't researched for hours and hours and hours. like that guy u bought the box from. and this site is a great place for reasearch. and if ur reallly nice people here will be more than willing to help you. well some of us LOL

BUILD LINK: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/112034-2-sundown-18s-98-f-150/page__p__1565972__fromsearch__1#entry1565972

98 Ford F-150
Truck:
37" superswamper tsl radials
16" ion alloy wheels
3" body lift
2" suspension lift
Offbrand brushguard
PIAA driving lights
6000K HID's
System:
2 18" Sundown Nightshaed
Aq3500
Custom Fiberglass box
fosgate T1 6x8 Coxials
bass inferno 2000 watt 4 channel
2 XS power d3100's
0 Gauge

if i can add some advice i'de just have to say RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. and then when u think u know about what ur talking about. RESEARCH AND RESEARCH SOME MORE. lol and don't believe anyone who's trying to sell you audio equipment. they thrive on people who haven't researched for hours and hours and hours. like that guy u bought the box from. and this site is a great place for reasearch. and if ur reallly nice people here will be more than willing to help you. well some of us LOL

Ya ya. I have retrieved some help here..just not ALL in the nicest of ways.lol

from what i learned a box should be tuned to the fs of the sub but listening preference takes place

and from the port point of vew is, your box can sound way better and not take up as much space, from my experience a wider mouth on the port helps with more air flow and then the lingth tunes the box/port to desired listening preference

i wonder if u can fool a ported box with poly fill like u can a sealed to help cut down on cf?

if ur box was taller and ports wider or maby just 1 big port on either side or middle will help a shit ton

i dont know much about tuning a box but i kno that these dudes do

i bet ur 15's could sound better in a sealed box than in that ported one u got, not saying it doesn't sound good in person, just looks like way over kill on box volume for those subs

i mean my sealed downfire box for my mtx 8000 15's is like 4cf and they would make my windsheld washer bottle shake from the bass

not saying this in a bad way but if there any good shops around u u could get a killer box and still keep a seat in back, hell make a custom one with seat belt mounts

can get rid of back seat and current box, measure the way u like to keep ur front seats from bottom to top to back wall/seat, then make the box a lil taller and then find cf to make it around what ur subs need sealed, and then can make a nice amp rack on bottom of box, then could build a seat beside of box but who would really want to ride beside a box and it wangin

hell if u wanted to u could make a downfire box to go under the seats and port it out the middle nere the floor and still keep the output and let people use the whole seat and make a amp rack behind the back part of rear seat

edit: im by no means a pro at this audio stuff but i have learned some things in the past and seen some installs and done some installs that i can tell how this will work, not by any means am im trying to act like a know it all, just some info ive picked up threw the years

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

from what i learned a box should be tuned to the fs of the sub but listening preference takes place

and from the port point of vew is, your box can sound way better and not take up as much space, from my experience a wider mouth on the port helps with more air flow and then the lingth tunes the box/port to desired listening preference

i wonder if u can fool a ported box with poly fill like u can a sealed to help cut down on cf?

if ur box was taller and ports wider or maby just 1 big port on either side or middle will help a shit ton

i dont know much about tuning a box but i kno that these dudes do

i bet ur 15's could sound better in a sealed box than in that ported one u got, not saying it doesn't sound good in person, just looks like way over kill on box volume for those subs

i mean my sealed downfire box for my mtx 8000 15's is like 4cf and they would make my windsheld washer bottle shake from the bass

not saying this in a bad way but if there any good shops around u u could get a killer box and still keep a seat in back, hell make a custom one with seat belt mounts

can get rid of back seat and current box, measure the way u like to keep ur front seats from bottom to top to back wall/seat, then make the box a lil taller and then find cf to make it around what ur subs need sealed, and then can make a nice amp rack on bottom of box, then could build a seat beside of box but who would really want to ride beside a box and it wangin

hell if u wanted to u could make a downfire box to go under the seats and port it out the middle nere the floor and still keep the output and let people use the whole seat and make a amp rack behind the back part of rear seat

edit: im by no means a pro at this audio stuff but i have learned some things in the past and seen some installs and done some installs that i can tell how this will work, not by any means am im trying to act like a know it all, just some info ive picked up threw the years

I'm pickin it up as I go too but it sounds good to me. I'm not above listening to people but I can't toss the box..its brand new. I think polyfill would add volume. I love the amp rack idea though. I hate walkin around to the other side back and forth eveytime I mess with something. I'm so ready to be done with the box topic. Plz start talkin about how my head unit sucks or something.lol

go buy a sheet of wood, we will help you with box design.

you can thank us later.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer