Sonic Electronix

budget beating and questions

First

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoosbZoTz-M

bought a bunch of woofers just because I felt like blowing money on multiple cheap woofers to see if I could pull off any numbers based on cone area.

im hoping to do an interesting number or two judging by the fact im barely putting 500 into the build (boo for budgets and joblessness)

so...

my question.

What should I do to get numbers? im thinking giving each woofer around 1 cube (like 10 cubes after displacement, and then figuring bracing to help with the large areas of wood <lower box vibrations and help gain any SPL possible with these cheapos> and lots of port, around 120sq.in. (might not sound like much but you should see how big the ports are i've made so far, lol) I'm pretty sure I can get something nice out of these cheap woofers, they're actually built pretty nice for how much they were, yielded some nice sounds for the two I crammed into my old 10 box (dual 10, not DUAL audio, just 2 10, single chamber, 38hz tuned, about 2.5 cube internal (cant remember the original number, its been a while since I built this thing) sounded very musical, good cone control, pretty impressive...

TL;DR ~ if you dont want to hear my rambling, i'll just ask it directly (something about 12:30AM and coffee), im trying to get loud with cheap speakers that seem to be built nicely (woofer torture with 2x rms clamped n' rated in a free air enviroment and barely any warm up after PURPOSELY giving it a clipped signal, VERY VERY impressive for what I paid) <damn it I rambled again> I want to design a box to get loud, im thinking about tuning to 40hz and giving it about 10 cubes aft. displacement with 120sq.in. of port, <im guessing these are probably about 0.125cu.ft. displacers, but my head is too tired to figure it out today (i'll do it tomorrow)

anyway... uh... yeah.

40hz @ 10cube w/ 120sq.in. of port should get loud right???

I would tune low but im trying to sneak a 140 so I can say i've done it (mainly impressing a few locals that could get me a job at a shop) and so I can also say "yeah, I finally did a system, took me long enough dont you think)

-or-

should I go for a 60hz fart box and hope to god it sounds decent on higher-notes songs??

or go all out 34hz-or-lower on it and see if I can do anything above 120db @ 25hz? lol

woofers are GRS 10PR8's from parts express (polycone, rubber surround, about 10.76 each when you buy more than 4)

(also, above stated figure for money ISNT just the woofers, wires are kind of expensive and so are decent 7 band Equilizers (secret to sounding good, i've used this to better my subs for years. and no not the clip-the-shit-out-of-36hz stuff)

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

should I stick with what im thinking about doing? or should I give them more room to breathe?

I'm REALLY bad at reading T/S Parameters (im trying to learn!) so im not sure exactly how I can manipulate these drivers into doing cool numbers.

realistically speaking however, do you think these can actually break a 140?? I bought them with high hopes that I could due to cone area, but i'm almost certain at this point I wont have the kind of gain I want from the woofers..

oh, and I should have that camera by next monday ;3 (mentioned in the video)

and if not... well, I can always get another Dell CPX laptop, i've already got the webcam. One way or another im getting pictures of this shit.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

should I give it 196sq.in instead?? (or 200)

so, started playing around with boxes (giving the old 2.5 box a few mutilations and building onto it, im NOT going to try converting an old box into a bigger box, im just using scrap wood and giving it a new baffle so I can see how well one likes 2 cube. these things hate 1 cube sealed, barely got loud, I actually thought my amp was only half way up.. very disapointing. now the 2.5 with both loaded sounds much better, downside being its still not as loud as my Xplods were. starting to regret blowing 200 on this build already (a friend of mine is attempting to get me his friends blown T1000. well.. he told me it was a rockford 1000, so im hoping its atleast something I can have repaired by someone from the forums, dont wanna spend much (175ish) and he's saying dude will sell it for 50$, so I might have to pick it up, more about that later)

well... I think im gonna chop up my old MTX AAL cab since its pretty much useless, easy 4 cube to test a pair of 10s in to see if they like bigger boxes. (Plus im broke for another week, which means no wood for a box <who knows, maybe this is god or a higher force telling me 'research these woofers more before you cut wood'>)

oh, and in other news, im stuck on an iMac G3 350mhz/slotloader (1999 FTL) and this thing fucking SUCKS. im actually experiencing serious lag typing this in fast reply, plus this p.o.s. cant do Javascript and WONT open Youtube (and you know im always on there playing tracks to see want bumps on my room stereo (now sporting a Pioneer SX750, I love this old monster) and the new tower wont arrive until January 5th. FML

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

kk, moment I get these measurements off the expo im gonna start designing stuff in CAD to see what I can get away with.

also, dude I was getting the cam from says it might be another week or two before he can get me the one I want (dude's buying a Q-Logic bandpass off me that I havent used in a while)

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

Archived