new hardrive need help

here is an easy way to see what actual space should be available and what actual size your harddrive is

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

this software is free and it basically takes an entire profile of your computer and tells you almost everything about it

example: here is what it says about my 500gb harddrive

Hitachi HTS545050B9A300 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 100905PBN40017JESTBE, SMART Status: Healthy ( so i should be able to use 500 you would think)

487.26 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

74.33 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

as you can see 13 gigs i cannot use, partly cause of OS partition but thats not 13gigs

ok i did that and it says this access denied you do not have sufficent privileges you have to invoke this utility running in elavated mode. i could go to 7 right now if i wanted to or any version of vista but i chose vista basic becouse this laptop is a dual 1.8 with 2g mem so im trying to keep things basic so itll run faster plus i play halo online here so i need things to run as fast as possible

windows 7 should run better on that than any version of vista, vista was absolute trash compared windows 7, i think

how am i not admin though im the only acount on here? how do i change that? doesnt 7 require more memory and such as well as a higher procesor then vista basic if not then im gona hop on that shit i need a os besides xp that doesnt use crap for memory or a procesor id love to put linex on this but with all the issues id run into with programs and drivers i havnt done so yet.

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

And the correct spelling for "linex" is Linux. Also you can use Linux but just use wine but if you don't have the time to correctly learn linux then don't bother with it. Windows 7 uses far less resources than vista and has better performance than XP. I would put Win 7 home premium on there and be done with it.

And just go into control panel>user accounts and see from there how to give yourself admin.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

i may do that then. sorry for misspelling it i think ill prolly go get 7 now. i would really like to learn linux considering i have all the time in the world right now just not sure where to look to find information on it.but getting back to the new issue how do i become admin if i am currently not? ot should i even bother right now and just put 7 on this

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

i may do that then. sorry for misspelling it i think ill prolly go get 7 now. i would really like to learn linux considering i have all the time in the world right now just not sure where to look to find information on it.but getting back to the new issue how do i become admin if i am currently not? ot should i even bother right now and just put 7 on this

If you really want to try a linux distro out I would recommend ubuntu. But then again you gotta take your time with anything linux it's like a turbo and supercharged version of windows. You do one thing wrong and you can mess stuff up.

I wouldn't mess with the admin thing if your going to windows 7.

Rest In Peace mother.

ya but wont i have the same problem with 7 being that im going use the same hdd after i format it again. seeing how this time i formated it and its still saying im not admin

When you install windows 7 in the setup options where you pick the HDD you want to install it on just delete the entire partition and your good to go.

Rest In Peace mother.

well im currently downloading both 7 and ubuntu got the other hdd so ill prolly put ubuntu on that and play around is there any forums or anything incase i run into problems with ubuntu?