Computer people? Anyone?

I may be a "noob" to sound systems but Computer use to be my life. had my own since i was 4 xD was a huge gamer. then learned much more about computers and stopped gaming. recently i just stopped gaming and got interested in sound systems instead of computers anyway. Don't thank my yet not until the job is done. hmm. i was going to d/l one of thoes of the link you sent but then realized that I don't currently have any burning software on my pc (hmmphh how did that happen. I always have one.) You should not "have" to buy anything. No need to be sorry either. Questions help us learn. You can use one of the ones from that link or you can use http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html that one. or you can get ubuntu. there are plenty of choices. I would recommend that you get a live cd for an OS that has a "desktop" so you can see what your doing instead of just sending it commands.

This has been such an awesome convo. Very helpful. Although the process will have to wait till tomorrow, but I will definently let you know how it goes. But I think I may have found an easier way. But there is one small simple thing stopping me. Are you fimiliar with Windows 7? I just recenetly got a dell laptop with Windows 7. I have had XP for years. When I'm on the "My Computer" panel...there isn't TOOL option, or VIEW, or FILE. Is there anyway to access those options. I'm VERY new and this may solve the whole hard drive problem. I just want to be able put my music on a hard drive, most of which is on my ipod. But as you know, you can only erase and sync on iTunes. So I'm able to go into the ipod on the computer and bring up the music files IF I can uncover hidden files. BUT..I can't find a TOOL option....I'm clueless.

"Everytime I ride by, she like the way the jet black Caddilac shine, make her say Oh My..."

2 Pioneer 12"s

Pioneer Amp

Pioneer Headunit

Well, If you have the music on your ipod and want it on your computer then that is not a problem there is a way to do that. i believe windows 7 is just like vista. i have a windows7 laptop. this pc is vista. and my other computers are xp. I ahve to many computers to keep track of. got 2 here in my room. got 3 laptops. got got another 7 downstairs and one in the basement lol. Yuo can give this a try it should work for you. saves a lot of time too i mgiht add.

1. Connect the iPod to your PC. If iTunes starts syncing (ie erasing) your music automatically, hit the X in the upper right hand corner of iTunes display, to the left of the search box, to stop it.

2. In Control Panel, Portable Media Devices, double-click your iPod.

3. Navigate to the Music folder.

4. Select all the music folders, and drag and drop them into a folder on your hard drive, or directly into iTunes.

And you’re done! The iPod music folder structure is strange and inexplicable, but once you move your files into iTunes you can set it to automatically organize your folder by artist and album to clean that up. (To do this, in iTunes Edit menu, choose Preferences and in the Advanced tab, check “Keep iTunes Music Folder organized.”)

Well, If you have the music on your ipod and want it on your computer then that is not a problem there is a way to do that. i believe windows 7 is just like vista. i have a windows7 laptop. this pc is vista. and my other computers are xp. I ahve to many computers to keep track of. got 2 here in my room. got 3 laptops. got got another 7 downstairs and one in the basement lol. Yuo can give this a try it should work for you. saves a lot of time too i mgiht add.

1. Connect the iPod to your PC. If iTunes starts syncing (ie erasing) your music automatically, hit the X in the upper right hand corner of iTunes display, to the left of the search box, to stop it.

2. In Control Panel, Portable Media Devices, double-click your iPod.

3. Navigate to the Music folder.

4. Select all the music folders, and drag and drop them into a folder on your hard drive, or directly into iTunes.

And you’re done! The iPod music folder structure is strange and inexplicable, but once you move your files into iTunes you can set it to automatically organize your folder by artist and album to clean that up. (To do this, in iTunes Edit menu, choose Preferences and in the Advanced tab, check “Keep iTunes Music Folder organized.”)

All your previous help will not go to waste, I plan on recovering EVERYTHING on the crashed hard drive. I just wanted that to be known. But back to the iPod problem. That's exactly what I have..a problem. When I go to the start menu and click Control Panel, there isn't anything labeled Portable Media Device.

"Everytime I ride by, she like the way the jet black Caddilac shine, make her say Oh My..."

2 Pioneer 12"s

Pioneer Amp

Pioneer Headunit

Ya. That's for XP :0 i just remembered. Give me like 5 minutes and i'll have it figure out for windows7/vista

No problem at all. Take your time, please. You've been such a help. I can't thank you enough. I've learned soooo much already.

2 Pioneer 12"s

Pioneer Amp

Pioneer Headunit

Okay. Well, I remembered a program that you can use. auto converts it to pc format for you to. Since im not the best direction giver i figured you could try and keep up with a youtube tut that i found. (he's using an older version but it is basically still the same. seems to work with Vista so it should be able to work on windows7) Let me Know if that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHxZ88tdYHA

Okay. Well, I remembered a program that you can use. auto converts it to pc format for you to. Since im not the best direction giver i figured you could try and keep up with a youtube tut that i found. (he's using an older version but it is basically still the same. seems to work with Vista so it should be able to work on windows7) Let me Know if that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHxZ88tdYHA

It worked!!!! You have no idea how thankful I am for all your advice and help!! I appreciate it very very much. I will let you know how the hard drive recovery goes. Thanks again!

2 Pioneer 12"s

Pioneer Amp

Pioneer Headunit

Any time at all. If you ever sell any sound system things or computers or music. let me know. I am glad that it worked for you. lets just hope you can recover your hdd and that it didn't completely die.

I downloaded and burnt the Linux OS to a disk, but that's as far as I got. When I put the disk in the crashed computer nothing happens.. I'm real stuck now. Do you suggest removing the hard drive and taking it to a computer shop to have the data moved to the external hdd?

2 Pioneer 12"s

Pioneer Amp

Pioneer Headunit

easiest way would be to buy a removable drive case from newegg, put that drive in the case and plug it into your other computer and browse that drive for all your data... You would need to know if it is a sata or ide drive... u can get a portable drive case at newegg for about $20...

Plus once you get all your data off it to your new box, you can format the drive in the portable case and now have a backup drive....

Edited by techforce