Sonic Electronix

I have re-connected my amplifier to a terminal box that the alternator connects to to charge the battery, I think anyway. I had switched this from the battery post due to a poor connection because the threads were stripped on the positive post of my battery, so I couldn't get it tight enough. Anyway, I noticed that my amp meter on my car is reading above 14 amps, in between 14 and 19. It is closer to 14 though. I'm just wondering if there is a huge effect or if there was any risk now that it reads higher than normal.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2003 Chevy Tahoe

Pioneer Head Unit

4 Pioneer 6 1/2's

6 Pioneer 1 in. Tweeters

2 15" Kicker L7, tuned at 38hz.

2 Audiobahn A2150hct ampliers

The Big 3

3000 watts RMS

So you moved the amp power from the battery to the accessories power post? And you used a clamp meter? Sorry I'm just a tad confused.

Ok let me elaborate.

There is a red box that has a wire from the battery and a wire from the alternator connects too. I'm assuming from there, it goes to the rest of the vehicle. And no, not a clamp meter. The voltage meter that is on the dash. It reads above 14 amps, I'm just curious if it's normal because I didn't notice it being that high before.

So basically, instead of me getting power from the battery directly. I am receiving it from this box. I'm not sure of the correct term for so maybe that's why you're confused.

Edited by Captain0389

2003 Chevy Tahoe

Pioneer Head Unit

4 Pioneer 6 1/2's

6 Pioneer 1 in. Tweeters

The Big 3

3000 watts RMS

So you moved the amp power from the battery to the accessories power post? And you used a clamp meter? Sorry I'm just a tad confused.

Ok let me elaborate.

There is a red box that has a wire from the battery and a wire from the alternator connects too. I'm assuming from there, it goes to the rest of the vehicle. And no, not a clamp meter. The voltage meter that is on the dash. It reads above 14 amps, I'm just curious if it's normal because I didn't notice it being that high before.

So basically, instead of me getting power from the battery directly. I am receiving it from this box. I'm not sure of the correct term for so maybe that's why you're confused.

That gauge in the dash is a voltage gauge. Not a amp gauge.

If it starts going nuts with different voltage and stuff your alt regulator maybe going bad.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Ok let me elaborate.

That gauge in the dash is a voltage gauge. Not a amp gauge.

If it starts going nuts with different voltage and stuff your alt regulator maybe going bad.

Ok, I think it's fine then. It doesn't fluctuate when I'm playing music. Thanks for the info.

2003 Chevy Tahoe

Pioneer Head Unit

4 Pioneer 6 1/2's

6 Pioneer 1 in. Tweeters

The Big 3

3000 watts RMS

Most cars charge above 14 volts. It could be upto 14.9. This could be why its higher than just 14.

But you can't always go by the factory volt meter. Best thing to do is take a DMM and see what its really reading at.

It was fluctuating between 14.98 to 15.2

2003 Chevy Tahoe

Pioneer Head Unit

4 Pioneer 6 1/2's

6 Pioneer 1 in. Tweeters

The Big 3

3000 watts RMS

Most cars charge above 14 volts. It could be upto 14.9. This could be why its higher than just 14.

But you can't always go by the factory volt meter. Best thing to do is take a DMM and see what its really reading at.

Like quickly? Or what? And was this when you were driving?

Or was this reading off a dmm?

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

Yes off the dmm. I was idling at about 14.9 and when I revved it would increase just a tad.

2003 Chevy Tahoe

Pioneer Head Unit

4 Pioneer 6 1/2's

6 Pioneer 1 in. Tweeters

The Big 3

3000 watts RMS

Yes off the dmm. I was idling at about 14.9 and when I revved it would increase just a tad.

Damn that is some nice voltage! Was this reading taken at warm or cold?

Rest In Peace mother.