Sonic Electronix

Which Speaker Wire Gauge for my System?

Ok guys so heres the deal.

I am running ( well want to be ) 3200 watts of subwoofers. It is going to be 1600 rms should be around there depending on my amp. But thats what the subs are rated at.

My question is what size of speaker wire to use. I had originally wired it up to some 16 gauge and I had my buddy come over to help me install and he said "this speaker wire is going to fry at that wattage, we need to wait to install it till you get some 8 gauge" He's pretty wise when it comes to car audio but I was not sure if he was exaggerating or what. But long story short I did some googling and he was right.

This kinda shocked me as I figured 16ga would be fine, little did I know 16 gauge speaker wire is not even near close to what I need. So before I go out and waste more money on speaker wire.

What do you guys think I should use? I looked around for 8 gauge, but wasn't able to come up with much of anything, I saw a lot of 8 gauge power wire, but damn is that what people use when it gets into this much wattage?

I saw a lot of 10 gauge reels for sale, but couldn't find an 8 in speaker wire, just power wire.

So what do you guys think?!

Thanks!

:drink40:'s On me for the first answer!

3d7304fe.jpg

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800

(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200

XS D6500 $245.65

PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430

Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60

Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85

A Bangin system! = PRICELESS!

I am running ( well want to be ) 3200 watts of subwoofers. It is going to be 1600 rms should be around there depending on my amp. But thats what the subs are rated at.

My question is what size of speaker wire to use. I had originally wired it up to some 16 gauge and I had my buddy come over to help me install and he said "this speaker wire is going to fry at that wattage, we need to wait to install it till you get some 8 gauge" He's pretty wise when it comes to car audio but I was not sure if he was exaggerating or what. But long story short I did some googling and he was right.

This kinda shocked me as I figured 16ga would be fine, little did I know 16 gauge speaker wire is not even near close to what I need. So before I go out and waste more money on speaker wire.

What do you guys think I should use? I looked around for 8 gauge, but wasn't able to come up with much of anything, I saw a lot of 8 gauge power wire, but damn is that what people use when it gets into this much wattage?

I saw a lot of 10 gauge reels for sale, but couldn't find an 8 in speaker wire, just power wire.

Thanks!

10 or 8 depends on how far the run is...dude where in orlando you live?

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang V6

Exterior: Blacked Out Taillights, Turn Signals, Side Markers-Black 18x8 Enkei ls5-6000k HID's

Interior: Blue LED Strips with Module for Music-Hardwired Beltronics RX65 with Blue LED and remote button

Sub: 2 10 inch custom subs

Amp: Hifonics BRz 2600

Wire: Knu 0 gauge

Headunit: Kenwood kiv-bt901

Damplifier: Fatmat Rattletrap

Electrical: Stock Alt/Stock Battery/Big 3

8 gauge power wire is what you want, if your subs can take that size. Thats what most decent sized subs use.

I might as well go with 8, what can it hurt? As long as it fits. Appreciate your reply buddy!

Thanks!

10 or 8 depends on how far the run is...dude where in orlando you live?

Gonna go with 8, what can it hurt? I got about a 8ft run, might be longer. Didnt measure what I got, but im gonna pick some up from Skycraft on fairbanks for .50c a foot! Probably cheaper if you ever been there!

I am actually more of Apopka area, its about 30 mins from heart of orlando, bout 25 mins from the new Amway Arena for the magic!

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

dude what the fuck i live in apopka!!!! ahhaha

Exterior: Blacked Out Taillights, Turn Signals, Side Markers-Black 18x8 Enkei ls5-6000k HID's

Interior: Blue LED Strips with Module for Music-Hardwired Beltronics RX65 with Blue LED and remote button

dude what the fuck i live in apopka!!!! ahhaha

Thats whats up man, youll hear me slammin in a few days. I live off kelly park, pretty close to the corner of kelly park and rock springs rd.

Probably shouldnt be givin out this info, but shit, i got the viper alarm system (; LOL

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

dude we live like 5 minutes from each other. not even kidding haha. i live on rock springs road im not gunna say what neighborhood but close to kelly park road

dude we live like 5 minutes from each other. not even kidding haha. i live on rock springs road im not gunna say what neighborhood but close to kelly park road

Bet you live in RSR - Rock Springs Ridge (; haha.

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

haha next to it

haha next to it

LOL veranda or something like that I don't really remember, but thats cool bro! Funny to meet someone on the forum that close to me!

As soon as I can get this shit wired up with 8ga ( which I just checked skycraft is selling for .55 cents a foot like i predicted. Such a great store. )

I will be slammin! Hear me from the next block. Eh? 4 10"s LOL.

Gonna run up there tommorow.

Ill report back to the forum with results, and hopefully some youtube vids!

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Archived