All depends on the car! But usually painters tape, and aluminum foil are your best friend! Try to follow the lines of the doors, so the pods flow, not just look out of place and bulky! I usually use chop matting instead of sheet (4 layers)! Spend the extra time for imaging of the speakers, hook them up and point them in the direction for where they sound the best, make marks and measurements and then apply rings accordingly! It takes more time this way, but then less attempts to get the desired sound!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Update: decision on substage has been made! I am keeping the Onyx and changing the enclosure!

Enclosure will now be about 1.25 cu with a 4" x 11" aeroport on the drivers side! Tuning should be around 36hz!

Rather spend $50 than $200!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

• 4 weeks later...

Well, no updates as of lately! I decided to do my big 3 the other day and ended up in the E.R. FML!! Trying to run the wires as factory as possible slipped, and cut the top of my hand open! So the next couple days I planned on glassing and working on the pods have been put on hold, not risking infection!

2011-07-24020331.jpg

2011-07-24020346.jpg

2011-07-24042131.jpg

All stiched up!

Who says I dont bleed for car audio!!

Vote for me for SOTM!!! Subtlety needs lovin!!! :D

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

I would like some assistance in a box design! I dont have a computer so calculating port area is difficult!

Box requirements:

1.25 cu ft after displacement

Tuning to 20-25 htz (sq tuning) 4" aeroport!

.17 sub displacement

Max height- 13.5"

Max width- 20"

Unlimited depth, but would like to keep under 10"

If anyone could get me some specs I would appreciate it! I dont need a cut sheet or blueprint, just length of port and basic box dimensions.

Thank you!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

• 3 weeks later...

Well as much as it hurts to do it is time to say goodbye to my beloved Zapco Studio 500!!

Time to pack it up!

2011-08-18205738.jpg

2011-08-18205936.jpg

2011-08-18210015.jpg

2011-08-18210254.jpg

2011-08-18210304.jpg

All packed and tight as a bug in a rug! She is heading back to California where she originated!

This gives me reason to build a new setup!!

Stay tuned!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Well after a long awaited journey of talking to people, getting insight, and going through design R&D, I have made a decision!

The sub is now on its way to Ken (forevrbumpn), to get the strongest, most powerful recone possible!

2011-08-16111502.jpg

2011-08-16110851.jpg

I have decided to go with the concave dustcap so I will still have the Onyx Mobile Audio logo, cause there arent any more "boob" caps with logo!

And with the help of Ray, I will be building a new PORTED enclosure tuned roughly around 29hz, cause thats the lowest I could go within my build requirements on space.

So within the next couple months, look forward to Sable Build 2.0! Quest for 140's single 12" trunk build!!!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Archived