Sonic Electronix

Gain is Input sensitivity right?

Yes, same thing. Different brands call it different stuff, input level/sensitivity/gain etc..

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

you dont need to clip to get full output from the HU and not every HU clips at full volume.

either way, the gain could be too high. we dont know what volume he turns it up to do we?

No, but i know most HU clip at full volume, especially with varying inputs.. even if they don't i think it's sketchy to be that close to the edge. And your right, but i'm going off experience, and most people do not throw there HU all the way up, and i made the assumption that he does NOT have aftermarket mids/highs, so most factory installed speakers can't handle full volume anyway.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Infrasonic filter is a sub sonic I believe. What is the low pass and bass boost at. Also if that infrasonic filter is a sub sonic do 2hz below tuning

My Input sensitivity is at 1 the minimum is 5 and max is 0.2. My LPF frequency is set to 150 Minimum is 50 max is 200. Bass boost is at 12 minimum is 0 max is 18. On my head unit i have everything set to 0.

there you go. the gain is almost all the way up. chances are very high that you are clipping.

It's the bass boost, his HU out is 2v, 1v gain shouldn't really clip

you are thinking backwards. if the HU does 1v then you need to boost the signal more than if its was 5v. so boosting enough for a 1v signal but giving it 2v would cause clipping.

I'm not thinking backwards, I know what gain is, lol.

second, it would only get 2v if he had his HU at 100% volume. It would clip at that point anyway. If he wants to compensate for an everyday listening level, say, only being at 3/4 volume, he should adjust the gain so it matches the voltage output at 3/4 volume, not full volume.

**EDIT

Assuming he remembers to stay at 3/4 volume or so, and not turn it up above that... but now he knows.

I usually turn it up to 25 or sometimes 27, but i think it goes up to 40 or some thing like that.

2002 Gmc Sierra 4x4

2 10" dual 2 ohm p3's

Custom box (34hz)

Kenwood eXcelon 1800 watt amp

Kennwood monitor

Polk Audio door speakers

Kenwood tweeters

Boston acoustics rear speakers

alpine 4 channel

you dont need to clip to get full output from the HU and not every HU clips at full volume.

either way, the gain could be too high. we dont know what volume he turns it up to do we?

No, but i know most HU clip at full volume, especially with varying inputs.. even if they don't i think it's sketchy to be that close to the edge. And your right, but i'm going off experience, and most people do not throw there HU all the way up, and i made the assumption that he does NOT have aftermarket mids/highs, so most factory installed speakers can't handle full volume anyway.

I have aftermarket speakers hooked up to a alpine 4 channel.

2002 Gmc Sierra 4x4

2 10" dual 2 ohm p3's

Custom box (34hz)

Kennwood monitor

Polk Audio door speakers

Kenwood tweeters

alpine 4 channel

Infrasonic filter is a sub sonic I believe. What is the low pass and bass boost at. Also if that infrasonic filter is a sub sonic do 2hz below tuning

My Input sensitivity is at 1 the minimum is 5 and max is 0.2. My LPF frequency is set to 150 Minimum is 50 max is 200. Bass boost is at 12 minimum is 0 max is 18. On my head unit i have everything set to 0.

there you go. the gain is almost all the way up. chances are very high that you are clipping.

** EDIT

Ok, aftermarket speakers, then fine, ur HU could go all the way up. BUT it's not about what they CAN do, its about your EVERYDAY listening. SO if you keep it at a little over half volume, keep ur gain at 1v. that's my opinion. And of course remember that if you DID crank it up, it will cause it to clip... so dont. but you don't need to crank it, ur subs will already be at full volume..

It's the bass boost, his HU out is 2v, 1v gain shouldn't really clip

you are thinking backwards. if the HU does 1v then you need to boost the signal more than if its was 5v. so boosting enough for a 1v signal but giving it 2v would cause clipping.

I'm not thinking backwards, I know what gain is, lol.

second, it would only get 2v if he had his HU at 100% volume. It would clip at that point anyway. If he wants to compensate for an everyday listening level, say, only being at 3/4 volume, he should adjust the gain so it matches the voltage output at 3/4 volume, not full volume.

**EDIT

Assuming he remembers to stay at 3/4 volume or so, and not turn it up above that... but now he knows.

I usually turn it up to 25 or sometimes 27, but i think it goes up to 40 or some thing like that.

Then i think you are perfectly ok with your gain at 1v. But someone will disagree with me, so if you hear anything funny, like distortion, or weird noises from the subs, then turn the gain down a bit. If it was me, i'd leave it at 1v. that will allow u to have your HU at your max listening level, 25-27, and your subs at full volume.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I put this in an edit but it won't work, so anyway,

Say your HU can stay flat all the way up. fine. BUT you don't listen to it at 100% volume.. So it's not about what the headunit CAN do, its about what YOU do on the daily. and you said a little over half way up, 25-27. Then you'd want your subs to be 100% volume at the same time. SO my personal opinion, keep your gain where it is. JUST REMEMBER if you do crank your all the way up,the subs wont get louder, they're already maxed out. only the mids/highs will, and the subs will start to clip.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I put this in an edit but it won't work, so anyway,

Say your HU can stay flat all the way up. fine. BUT you don't listen to it at 100% volume.. So it's not about what the headunit CAN do, its about what YOU do on the daily. and you said a little over half way up, 25-27. Then you'd want your subs to be 100% volume at the same time. SO my personal opinion, keep your gain where it is. JUST REMEMBER if you do crank your all the way up,the subs wont get louder, they're already maxed out. only the mids/highs will, and the subs will start to clip.

So just remember to keep my volume around 25-27?

2002 Gmc Sierra 4x4

2 10" dual 2 ohm p3's

Custom box (34hz)

Kennwood monitor

Polk Audio door speakers

Kenwood tweeters

alpine 4 channel

I might have read it wrong, but say my preamp voltage is 5v would i set it to 5 on my amp?

2002 Gmc Sierra 4x4

2 10" dual 2 ohm p3's

Custom box (34hz)

Kennwood monitor

Polk Audio door speakers

Kenwood tweeters

alpine 4 channel

I might have read it wrong, but say my preamp voltage is 5v would i set it to 5 on my amp?

Yes, that will give you 100% sub output at 100% head unit volume. BUT seeing as it is u only use %50-60 of your HU volume.. I would set the gain one notch higher, that is, 4 volts. BUT that's just me, people may argue etc... Mostly, if you ever hear distortion, or ur subs skip, then turn it back down a bit. and if you DO set ur gain around 4 volts, remember NOT to crank the volume on your HU past the 50-60% mark. All of this is what I personally would do... everyone will have different opinions.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!