need help trying to figure this out

What do you currently have for a computer? Pentium 4's are horribly low performance, Athlon-64's spank them easily.

You dont even need to get the ram with what you linked, the pre-built comes with ram. Regor's overclock ok it looks like, up to 4ghz on air if you work at it: http://www.hwbot.org/hardware/processor/athlon_ii_x2_260

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

It's not always the processor that has a hard time,most of the time its the motherboard. But both of them can have a hard time doing overclocking and since the OP really doesn't know too much I wouldn't say to overclock.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

i currently have a toshiba satillite laptop its a dual core 1.8 with 2g mem idk what speed the mem is i just reformated and reinstalled 7 home so i dont have cpu-z im pretty sure that was the name of the program but it tells the exact specs of the computer

sence i dont know alot about overclocking i figured id do up a cheap build untill i figure things out better then save up.

the thing im trying to do is build a gaming/media computer to play halo 2 maxed out as well as the new call of duty black ops smoothly

Edited by hifonics10

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

i currently have a toshiba satillite laptop its a dual core 1.8 with 2g mem idk what speed the mem is i just reformated and reinstalled 7 home so i dont have cpu-z im pretty sure that was the name of the program but it tells the exact specs of the computer

That combo kit would be a nice little step up from that laptop.

Rest In Peace mother.

the way it is? without the added 4g like i said i dont know much but i wana learn. but u think that kid the way it is is a great deal better then the laptop im using right now? all im looking for is to be able to play the 2 halo games i have some newer games and basicly multimedia atleast for not i still wana try overclocking just to have that under my belt as an acomplishment.

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Well first you can't mix and match memory. Second of all you would need to get 2x2gb sticks to have 4gb since that motherboard only has 2 DIMM slots.

And with overclocking you take your time you don't just max out things and start doing this and that, it took me over 8 hours for my first overclock.

Rest In Peace mother.

no i know you cant mix match mem if u look i put x 2 i looked at the mother board found the max supported then looked and got 2 2g wich wasnt the max but still double what it had. and ive been watching a few vids on youtube about overclocking and ik that u adjust things see how they work underloads and such i think u adjust frequency then voltage acordingly idr what was on the vids right now im tired as fuck. i watched a vid on how to overclock mem that explained it really well but can you overclock a cpu and mem or do you have to pick one or the other

you CAN mix and match memory, you just need to use the timings of the slower memory.

Earlier I recommended the Sandy Bridge processors from Intel (i5/i7 2500/2600), but now I suggest you dont go with them for the time being. Intel recently recalled all stock of the processors and motherboards due to a problem with the clock generator for the SATA controllers.

To play Halo or the new Call of Duty at "high" settings with a decent framerate you will need something like an ATi 5750 or nVidia GTS450, or faster.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.