Second Skin Audio

Info on trunk box?

evermaxx

So I decided to give my girls car some attention. It's going to be one 12" firing into the car. since the seats won't always be down, how far should I build it from the back seat? And is there a sub/port orientation on what's louder? Looking for all inputs as, this will be the first box I've done with the box firing forward. Thanks guys!

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch

Man....it makes a nice work bench ;)

Sorry for the confusion I'm having some trouble nailing down what you mean.

Ported box with sub and port facing the front of the vehicle....the sealing off the trunk to avoid cancellation?

Well idk exactly what that sub needs but if it was me I'd build about 2.25 cubic ft and use a 4 inch precision flared port. After that the hard part is sealing the space between the box and the trunk as well as sealing the rear deck so no air can pass between them. Also if it was me I'd tune to about 32hz

Not looking for design lol. Looking for what's best as in sub/port orientation & how far back I should build the box as the seats won't always be down.

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

If it's sealed from the trunk, sub forward port forward into cab, and with the seats up, have the box positioned at least the width of the port from the back of the seat. Seat back is usually a little angled, so say four inch wide port, highest point of the port should be where you measure four inches from the back of the seat. Good rule of thumb on that from what I've seen

Having the sub and port firing directly into the seat back is a very similar effect of a bandbass box. Too close, it could damage the sub and too far away, there's output loss. The top of the box usually rests about 2" back from the top outer edge of the rear deck, on most applications I have seen. I would check out a few trunk wall build logs around the forums and see how far they put their port/subs from the seats. If in doubt, I would definitely go a little further than a little closer. Have seen cones get ripped to shreds in bandpass's due to the loading wall being too close.

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

Yeah, I'm trying to see what will work best since she won't have her seats down all the time..8/10 times they are down, but usually with what she has now, just half the seat down since its subs back port back.

33y2914.jpg

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived