Second Skin Audio
Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Subwoofer Glue?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
Today one of my L5's started to sound messed up.....Checked it and the Glue holding the cone on is Coming off. Is there a certain type of Glue that they use for this?

Here are some Pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image

IH8PunkRok

IH8PunkRok

Goldilocks

• 18+ All Access!
  • 12,218 posts
huh well that sux pretty badly
not sure that there is a specific type of glue but a really strong one would work sumthin like gorilla glue should do the job IMO

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1
Zapco 650.6

Audison AX 1.1

Hertz EV 130

Silverflute W17

Audison Srd1k

Tang Band W8 SBF
XS D1200
2 Deka 9a31s
Shok 1/0

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
yes it does suck pretty bad. It was making a HORIBBLE noise when It was playing and it was pissing me off. at least it seems to be repairable. The Glue that is on there peeled off pretty easy in one piece., Not sure what kind it is.

dwright27

dwright27

175db

• Banned
  • 7,825 posts
try CA glue or 2 ton epxoy ;D

my favorite stguff
2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver
XS Power
4 DC 3.5kw
Team DC
Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer
American Bass Dealer
XS Power Dealer
Audio Technix Dealer

Posted Image

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
I might look at some type of plastic epoxy tomorrow. I think they have some at walmart or micheals

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
Picked up some of this....Hope it works. Are the cones on L5's even Plastic?

Posted Image

Guest_MegaloManiac_*

Guest_MegaloManiac_*
  • Guests
cracked cone is never good...its only going to get worst....ca glue is your friend...

Edited by MegaloManiac, 30 August 2007 - 10:42 AM.

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
lol. Where can I get this CA Glue? Hobbyshop or something? If you think that'll work better than this Epoxy, Ill take it back.

Guest_MegaloManiac_*

Guest_MegaloManiac_*
  • Guests
Hobby Lobby has it, but there shit sucks for some reason... from what Doug(friend) told me

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
haha, I guess that didnt help me much then. Im just not sure if this cone is "plastic" or wtf its made of. Im guessing its plastic. Well im stripping all the old glue off now, and Maybe Ill drive up to Michaels and see what kind of Glues they have to offer me.

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
Alright. I bought some of this to: Posted Image

But I dont think either will work :( I found this Speaker cement on http://www.elexp.com/che_8337.htm
Seems to be like the same stuff the factory used....forms a hard, durable and vibration resistant bond with minimal shrinkage also is black like the stuff I had on mine. I will probably order it and give this a try.

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
Just wanted to update.....I used my Speaker service cement that I bought for $14.97 and it worked like a dream. Subs sound amazing again and are holding up like new.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

David

David

RockStar Tatted, Big Money Addict

• Admin

• 10,572 posts
sweet.

roscoe1129

roscoe1129

Teh Hamma

• Admin

• 13,449 posts

Just wanted to update.....I used my Speaker service cement that I bought for $14.97 and it worked like a dream. Subs sound amazing again and are holding up like new.

Where did you pick that up from?

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

[color=#008000;]Scientia est Vox[/color]

[color=#008000;]"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"[/color]Posted Image

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Posted Image

ChevyBoy

ChevyBoy

asshole junior

• 18+ All Access!
  • 10,334 posts

Where did you pick that up from?

that link above :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

LaZuRoS3

LaZuRoS3

120db

• Members
  • 66 posts
nice now if somebody crack a cone not to badly they can find and use that woot

Edited by LaZuRoS3, 15 September 2007 - 06:21 PM.

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
Yup. I highly recommend it. I put the stuff on and let it sit for a day. Hookup them up the next day and played them as loud as possible and they sounded perfect. Still holding up a week later. The first link I had up makes you have a $10 purchase before you can checkout.....So I ended up getting it from this site: http://www.ace4parts..._8337-55ML.aspx

Some what expensive w/ shipping and everything, but its worth it because it actually works

TechSys

TechSys

135db

• Members
  • 523 posts

lol. Where can I get this CA Glue? Hobbyshop or something? If you think that'll work better than this Epoxy, Ill take it back.

If you go to a hobby shop, ask for tire glue. Some shops won't know it as CA glue. The glue really is nothing but super glue with a rubber base added, from what I was told at the shop I went to.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

roscoe1129

roscoe1129

Teh Hamma

• Admin

• 13,449 posts

that link above :)

now you asking me to read?????? hell..... :lol:

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

[color=#008000;]Scientia est Vox[/color]

[color=#008000;]"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"[/color]Posted Image

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Posted Image

w87will

w87will

140db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 864 posts
Sounds like the CA Glue is pretty close to this stuff? Because this stuff is rubber based and holds up under Vibration and everything. Hmmm