Sundown Audio

New amp descisions. Help me please.

Carroot1

Ok so im looking to get a new amp for my car. My current setup is AQ1200D with 2 SA 12s. 1 Big stock battery in the trunk (yes bmw puts batteries in the trunk) and a walmart batt under the hood. My voltage drops to mid 13s so im pretty good as it is. I'm not buying an alternator anytime soon I'll probably do the BIG 3 with zero gauge and thats about it. Im 16 without a job so I don't have any income. I have about $300 to spend on an amplifier. I've been looking into the AQ2200D, which is probably my best bet. I'm a n00b and i dont have an o scope so the built in one in there amps is great. I could possibly sell my amp for 200 bucks shipped. I'd rather not, until I have the new amp in hand. So my MAIN QUESTION is: what are some other amps you suggest? I don't wana cook these woofers and if it helps I'm getting a box design from PWK, which I still have no clue what the progress is on it since he doesn't respond. Most likey because hes busy but if he has time to make youtube vids he has time to respond to email. I think i've given all the info thats needed. If not, just ask :)

mJzD9.png

Audiopipe or Hifonics probably.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

I know you said you dont want to sell your amp before you get another but I would. If you sell it now and put it with the $300 you have you can buy alot more amp for the future. Just because you have a 3500 watt amp doesnt mean you have to use all 3500 watts. Plan ahead :drinks:

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

I know you said you dont want to sell your amp before you get another but I would. If you sell it now and put it with the $300 you have you can buy alot more amp for the future. Just because you have a 3500 watt amp doesnt mean you have to use all 3500 watts. Plan ahead :drinks:

yea, thats true i mean, i would like a 2k or something that my subs are capable of. I know that they are underrated but not sure on what amp to get.

mJzD9.png

Why upgrade? Those subs won't like the 2200d. Sure, they will take it, but will probably get smelly fast.

A 1200d and 2 SA's is pretty much a good match already.

i was told they that they can take 1k each unclipped clean rms and that people have put more to them.

mJzD9.png

They can, but for not long periods of time.

They are rated 600 for a reason.

Also, there are other factors to being able to handle that much power. Box size is the main one.

Honestly, I don't think you will gain much SPL, cause of power compression and such.

Plus with 2000+rms, its possible you will have to upgrade your electrical. I'm not sure what all you have now, but if its stock, upgrades are probably in order.

Just my opinion. I honestly don't think its worth it.

well im not looking for spl just loudness i dont compete or anything. i would think in the right box and if i tuned the gains correctly these subs would be fine on a dc 2k or a aq2200d but im not a professional with all this stuff. I guess whenever i get my box designs ill build that and see where it goes, but i really wanta dc 2k maybe ill have to sell all my stuff and get new stuff

taking this to the sundown forums

Edited by Carroot1
mJzD9.png