Sonic Electronix

So we (me and the SMDers who commented on my amp thread) came the conclusion i clipped my amp to death by using a 0db 50hz tone when i was tuning the gains with a DMM, Sooo i guess i need -2.5 or -3db 50hz tones? anyone have a link or can send me one? <-- Also if u think i'm WRONG about which tone to use, please let me know..

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

So we (me and the SMDers who commented on my amp thread) came the conclusion i clipped my amp to death by using a 0db 50hz tone when i was tuning the gains with a DMM, Sooo i guess i need -2.5 or -3db 50hz tones? anyone have a link or can send me one? <-- Also if u think i'm WRONG about which tone to use, please let me know..

Clipping your amp doesn't have to do with the volume of your test tone.

Setting the gain with a lower DB test tone will result in a HIGHER gain setting and when you come across music that is louder than -3db you'll just be clipping it again.

Try setting your amp to a few volts below what Torres' chart says for RMS ratings.

Setting the gain with a lower DB test tone will result in a HIGHER gain setting and when you come across music that is louder than -3db you'll just be clipping it again.

Try setting your amp to a few volts below what Torres' chart says for RMS ratings.

Well, I NEED a higher gain setting, because my music sounds MUCH quieter compared to the 0db tone. I'm almost gonna say that either my ipod was clipping, if that's possible? because i put my ipod at 100% volume so i know its always at the same volume level, because my HU doesn't integrate ipods, its just an aux in, and the HU output is proportional to the Aux input volume...

Or

My head unit was clipping the 0Db tone even though it was at 3/4ish volume. Anyway the tone sounds much louder than my music, and i need one that sounds closer to the level of my music, or i need an ACCURATE way to compensate for the volume difference...the guys in the other thread said i should've used a -2 or -3 db tone..

Oh and if it matters, my subs can take the full 1700 watts RMS, so i think with the amp was maxed out the 0db tone did clip... So is there an accurate way to compensate or a better way to set the gains?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I always thought set everything flat and then set gains from there and the -2db thing is confusing as shit to me

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74

to my understanding, using a -2,-3,-4, etc tone realistically tunes the amp closer to its full potential. but straight running a 0db 50hz tone for 20 seconds with the gain 3/4 (IIRC) and volume 3/5 would send my amp into protect, and i would have to turn my HU off and back on to save it.

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

Well, I NEED a higher gain setting, because my music sounds MUCH quieter compared to the 0db tone. I'm almost gonna say that either my ipod was clipping, if that's possible? because i put my ipod at 100% volume so i know its always at the same volume level, because my HU doesn't integrate ipods, its just an aux in, and the HU output is proportional to the Aux input volume...

Or

My head unit was clipping the 0Db tone even though it was at 3/4ish volume. Anyway the tone sounds much louder than my music, and i need one that sounds closer to the level of my music, or i need an ACCURATE way to compensate for the volume difference...the guys in the other thread said i should've used a -2 or -3 db tone..

Oh and if it matters, my subs can take the full 1700 watts RMS, so i think with the amp was maxed out the 0db tone did clip... So is there an accurate way to compensate or a better way to set the gains?

OK, so you're telling me you blew your amp by having it set too low?

And I use an AUX input on my Radio too, I set my volume on my Zune to 16 of 20 for max volume without clipping personally.

Tone's are going to sound much louder, they are the absolute loudest input signal possible assumin they are a 0db tone, so don't expect music to be as loud. I know it sucks but that's how it goes. :werd_msword:

The -2 or -3db tone is used to set gains to compensate for music. Since you have a tone that is two-three decibels less than what is absolute max, you can compensate by turning the gain just a bit higher. This results in a louder setting for music but can also lead to clipping sooner if you come across a song that approaches the -2db threshold. (Such as BigPimpin's Music, DJ Billy E, or Bass Mekanik.)

Let's start from the begging.

Give me a rundown of your amp and subs.

Just Brand and Model Number would be good.

Or

OK, so you're telling me you blew your amp by having it set too low?

And I use an AUX input on my Radio too, I set my volume on my Zune to 16 of 20 for max volume without clipping personally.

Tone's are going to sound much louder, they are the absolute loudest input signal possible assumin they are a 0db tone, so don't expect music to be as loud. I know it sucks but that's how it goes. :werd_msword:

The -2 or -3db tone is used to set gains to compensate for music. Since you have a tone that is two-three decibels less than what is absolute max, you can compensate by turning the gain just a bit higher. This results in a louder setting for music but can also lead to clipping sooner if you come across a song that approaches the -2db threshold. (Such as BigPimpin's Music, DJ Billy E, or Bass Mekanik.)

Let's start from the begging.

Give me a rundown of your amp and subs.

Just Brand and Model Number would be good.

Idk where u got that it blew from setting it too low? I played a 0db tone for about 15 seconds with ipod up all the way, HU up 3/4, and gain set to max out the amp, and it blew the power supply.

But anyway, subs and amp are in my sig, but it's two Pioneer TS-W3002D4, and a Soundstream DTR1.1700

**edit

If my itouch had a number for the volume like, "16-20", i'd be fine with that, but ipods are just a slider, and i don't feel comfortable eye balling the volume setting, especially if i'm RIGHT on the edge of clipping my amp... So i keep it 100% volume, then i always know it's set in the right place. That's a good side question tho...Does an itouch clip at 100% volume? i don't have an oscope.. lol

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come: