Sonic Electronix

math and stuff like that

so I probably slept in geometry when they talked about doing this (school. need I say more)

but is there a way to convert cylindrical areas into square areas for use with converting ports??

or can I not convert say a 379.11CUIN cylindrical port into a 379.11CUIN square port?? does the formula change or can I just directly convert it??

someone help me. my brain doesn't work after 11PM on a Wednesday :/

and no im not trying to build a box for SA8s that I might possibly be buying in the next week or two (if I do get the job in the Meijer Deli)

im just trying to design one currently. and if I can convert numbers like this my god that would make building this box easier.

and another question, if I were to build a box for one of these with my 6" tubes that I have laying around (its amazing that companies throw these things out, dense and 4ft long on average!) I would end up with 23.5ish inches (i've got the actual number on paper in my notebook for box-buildinz)

could I take the total area of the tube, and add that amount of airspace to the box for it to subtract that area used by the port to still give me the area I calculated the port as being??? (basically, if I add the area to the box that this tube takes up, will the whole thing be considered displacement to the box to still give me say 2.12cu.ft if my box is 2.48625cu.ft with the area added and still tune me for 2.12cu.ft???)

fuck this is confusing.

(just trying to better myself with box building, nothing wrong with that)

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

do you want port area or port volume? You keep saying area but you are giving CU IN measurements.

the total volume, thats what I meant. sorry for the confusing talk, I should probably go to sleep, been up for like 20 hours now.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

the total volume, thats what I meant. sorry for the confusing talk, I should probably go to sleep, been up for like 20 hours now.

Ok, gotcha.

Are you asking if you need the same volume (CU IN) of port for either a round or square (slot) port? If so the answer is no (usually), typically you need less port (area) for round ports than square (slot). The smaller amount of area a port has, the less length it needs for proper tuning.

Example: These are not real measurements, don't try them at home.

Sub X needs a tuning of 33 hz. For a square (slot) port the recommended area is 12 sq in. For a round port the recommended area is 9 sq in.

a square (slot) port of 12 sq in might need to be 17" long for a 33 hz tuning.

a round port of 9 sq in might need to be 13" long for a 33 hz tuning.

Your other question was about how to calculate port volume into the box volume calculation right?

If you want a box size of 2.5 cubes and you want it ported, you have to compensate for the port displacement. Whatever the volume of the port is (say .15 cubes for example), you would need to add that to the box size (so 2.65 cubes).

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived