Sonic Electronix

Project Idea for Filters

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here, I've been busy with school and such. I've been studying Electrical Engineering at Milwaukee School of Engineering, and I'm looking to apply some of my knowledge for audio applications.

Anyways, I've got an idea that I'd like some input on. I'm going to start a project building a High Pass / Low pass Filter that will accept RCA input and output RCA. Since my current set up uses two amplifiers, one for low freq and one for mids/highs, I've been looking for a way to change the filter settings without having to access the amps. This design will take an RCA in from the head unit and output two RCA L/R sets (for two amplifiers) that will be able to be mounted somewhere closer to the driver for quick access / tuning. This way, the amplifiers' filters wont be used, instead I'll use the filter box.

Since I don't want to spend so much money for something like a RF 360, I'm going to use my newly acquired knowledge of AC circuits to design a circuit capable of fulfilling these requirements. Here's what I've got so far:

1. One L/R RCA set input from head unit

2. Signal splits to four possible circuits (All frequency dependent)

a. Amp 1 LPF

b. Amp 1 HPF

c. Amp 2 LPF

d. Amp 2 HPF

3. Two L/R RCA set outputs from filter box

a. Amp 1

b. Amp 2

Any suggestions / ideas? I'll keep a build log in the projects section if this idea is deemed plausible.

Thanks

2009 VW Rabbit 2-Door:

Pioneer AVH-X1600DVD

Kicker CX600.1 (Kicker "Certified" 638wrms@2ohm)

NVX VCW124 @2 Ohm, ~1.25 ft^3 Sealed box

Stock Doors; (4) 6.5's, (2) 4's, (4) 1" Tweets

Owner/Founder of RT Photography

Canon Traitor who moved to Fujifilm

your avatar is distracting.

almost as much as mine is.

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)

Kenwood KIV-700 headunit

2 18" sundown Z.v3s

13.5^3 wall tuned @ 28hz

SAZ-3500

DC power 270amp alt

JL c2 650

AP600.4

XS 1200 under the hood

XS 3100 in the trunk

1/0 gauge

big 3

25^2ft audio technix

sdfi.png

^^ c-fuzzy ur an idiot, my 15" soround is waay bigger cuz its a tall sorround, on top of that I HAVE A BIGGER MOTOR... oh yeah and fuck u suck my dick i got your hoes!

anywhere they want to. They cant hear anyone telling them otherwise. just because its bigger doesnt make it any different. they just piss people off faster and farther away.

Yes, it would work.

Remember:

You're using a passive filter so you'll probably want a pre-amp or a headunit with 4v+ pre-outs

Crossovers introduce phase delay, depending on their order.

Crossovers are impedance dependent so you'll need to match both the input and output impedance

It would be pretty simple to do a fixed one but if you want variable frequency you'll need to use variable components intelligently.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived